Up here in NER, we have a lot of cars for very little track space. LRP and NHIS are only a sliver over 1.5 miles so we are talking 38 cars on track without a waiver, 44 cars at best. We also do not run on the same weekends as Nationals. We have Regional only weekends and National only weekends...

With Regional only classes there are over 40 classes in most areas. Here - ITS, ITA, ITB, and our two versions of Spec Miata (SM and SSM) make up over 50% of the entries. Yup, about 12% of the classes make up 50% of the cars.

With 2 run groups of open wheelers, that leaves 5 run groups with classes than could (and often do) have enough entries to fill up more than half a run group. So you than have to fit around 25 classes into those 5 groups - and there are many issues to take into account - like speed differential, weights, etc. Some groups just shouldn't be put together for a variety of reasons.

Yesterday at a Regional, there were 6 cars in the 'big bore' open wheel run group. Granted, this was on an enduro weekend where they were not eligible to run and bad weather was predicted, but this run group is never even half filled, with 9 classes!!!!

Finally to my question:

What Regions, if any, do restricted regionals? How do they work? What sort of political climate is involved? Do you like it or hate it? Do you have any friends that run in the restricted classes that are sour? Do they understand the issues and the reasoning?

I hate to even suggest that we exclude drivers. It makes me ill. However, when some of the IT and SM run groups have to consider registration cut-offs or consolation races while 2 run-groups remain so under-utilized, I wonder what is best for the region as a whole. Keep in mind that these guys COULD go run Nationals if they so chose. (SM will be the same next year, but it is often the largest class in most areas so it is a sort of moot point).

I am trying to be more active with my local Comp Board and I want to make an INFORMED proposal this winter on a variety of ideas I have and have bounced off freinds and teammates. Can this work?

NER will be initially opposed to it - and rightfully so I think. We want to accomodate all drivers in all classes...but where do we draw the line and who has to suffer when problems occur? I am willing to bet that if you could provide more value to the racers in terms of track time/dollar, you would make up easily in additional entries what you lost by eliminating the 2 open wheel groups.

I would also think this idea would only be reasonable for 1-2 events per year, maybe on the first day of a double or something like that. I haven't thought it all through but would like some input - FOR AND AGAINST so I can decide to even go forward with the idea. We all know everyone can never be made happy, but what make the MOST happy while still producing a profitable event/season?

Thanks,

AB