I am posting this discussion because the issue of FF heads for relacement on ITC Fiestas will soon be readdressed by the CB and perhaps we need to clear the air for those of us who would like to see acceptance.

From my experience and I've looked at, and had machine shops test, at least a dozen federal heads in the last 10 years and all were cracked. Two ways to repair: one costly method of rewelding and machining with no guarantee they would not recrack, and a porcelain coating that lasts a while, but eventually lets go again. We all know the coating is now illegal.

With the acceptance of the aluminum heads for FF (not IT of course), there is a large number of FF cast iron heads available relatively inexpensively on the market. The ports and valve sizes are identical to the federal heads, only the casting (less porosity) and undrilled air injection bosses (which by the rules are plugged anyway) differ.

For the sake of keeping uncracked headed Fiestas in IT, we need to assail SCCA to have the FF heads accepted as legal alternative parts.

Any takers?

[This message has been edited by grjones1 (edited October 03, 2003).]