This weekend was going to be my second attempt at racing a 1st gen I purchased a year ago. First time out we had a distributor problem and had to go home and miss the race. This weekend we had the car all back in shape and missed the first qualifying session due to a distributor adjustmant bolt deciding to break off after we adjusted the timing. With some useful use of some hose clamps we fixed that problem only to discover what seems like a missing apex seal. The 2nd rotor only "puffs" once instead of 3 times. (Thanks for helping us find that David!)The car went the 6 hours back home without hitting the track once for this double weekend and making a grown man cry for his family. Stupid car! - in homer simpson voice.

So here I am DYING to get rid of this novice permit I now have for my second year. I need to get the car back to the state where it could accelerate and quickly. I thought I would pass our game plan by you experienced rotary super studs and see what you think. Prepare for the questions!

I have 3 junkyard motors on my garage floor. 2 can be hand rotated, the 3rd doesn't move, and then there's the one currently in the car. The engine in the car has had quite a few races on it. Our (crew chief John the mechanic) and I are thinking of taking one engine, slapping it in the car, see if it fires and hitting the track for the quick fix. Then take all the other engines and work on making the "real" racing engine.

So can a junkyard motor go from floor to race ready by simply placing it in the car and putting a little ATF in the plug holes? What precautions should be taken? John is a great wrench, but neither of us have much rotory experience although the car is teaching us more all the time! The engines have been in dry storage since I've known them, who knows where they were before that.

We're guessing that the race engine is injured. Do we try to repair it or just get a new one working. By working I just mean working, not talking about super race engine.

Since it sounds like any internal motor check up requires an almost complete disassembly, should we just scrap the quick plans and proceed directly to making super race engine?

I'm just itching so bad to do a "real" race. School is fun but it's not a race and driving to the track 6 hours twice now just to see my class race without me is getting very... very old.

So please, help a starting racer out rotor heads! I love the car, I just want it to work and get those hondas to stop laughing at me!!!