I have been trying to lower my coolant/oil temps for a while. I finally went to an aluminum rad with electric fan for the water temp part. For the the oil temp part I decided to build a duct which directs air from the lower chin spoiler directly to the oil cooler. The duct assembly came out fairly decent.

I remembered someone telling me that if you removed the oil cooler bypass valve that the oil would flow through the cooler full time and drop the temp 10 degrees. So I did this as well.

This past weekend at VIR I ran a light "observation" session, and the oil temp climbed immediately. I surmised that the duct was choking flow rather than aiding it, so I remove the duct and resumed stock config.

My first full on session (this was a driving school environment BTW), was the last. Within 1/2 lap the oil temp gauge was pegged. (Keep in mind the ambient temp was north of 90 degrees). The water temp was stable at about 210 so I figured things were OK. After 5 laps the motor lost power and an immediate glance to the oil pressure gauge showed 20psi. The motor was done. It runs and idles but rough as hell, obviously due to a bearing failure.

Has any of you guys heard about this oil cooler thermal bypass deal? At this point this is what I am pin pointing as the cause of the oil temp and subsequent pressure loss and engine failure. Any thoughts on this?

Pauly D in despair.....