When I first drove my 88 CRX Si, it wouldn't stop for sh*t and it couldn't even lock up the bald, hard street tires it came with. I had never driven a CRX before so I really didn't have a frame of reference, but it didn't feel like it was stopping like it should.
Since then I have completely flushed the fluid with DOT 3 fluid (the fluid I got out was cola colored and very slightly milky) to the point that every corner of the car bleeds clear fluid and no bubbles. I have two cans of ATE super blue waiting for use, but I don't want to waste it on frequent flushes while I'm sorting everything else out. I have also replaced the rotors with fresh Brembro blanks, and I replaced the pads with PF carbon metalic pads. Again, I have a set of Carbotech XPs waiting for use, but since these don't stop well cold they won't help me decide if the system is working. As for the rest of the system, it looks grossly functional with no obvious damage. The pedal feels pretty good but a little soft. I have done nothing to adjust the rear drums, but I have a set of OEM shoes ready for the rears and after install and adjustment things might feel a little better.
I have tested the car at a number of autocross events before it sees any track time to help uncover any other safety issues before I'm moving very fast. The brakes stop the car but still can't lock up a set of 185/60/14 victoracers, and I'm 90% sure that something still isn't functioning properly. The problem is, my reference autocross car is a 98 ITR which generates amazing braking force, so I'm not sure what I should expect from the CRX. So, I'm posting this here since I figure that most of the CRX Si's on this board have their brakes working "at the top of their game" and can tell me what I should expect.
What are some benchmarks I can use to determine if this car is braking properly? What things can I look for as far as the master cylinder, brake booster, etc. to make sure they're functioning properly. What other maintenance procedures (other than getting to the rear drums) can I do that might help? Thanks for any info. Sorry for the long question.