I know everyone has addressed camshaft timing before, but a quick search through the archives and I couldn't find anyone with this specific problem. I just did some dyno runs on my 86 GTi ITB car to play with ignition timing and fuel enrichment. On my best run I saw 98 horsepower at the wheels at 5200 rpm with about 105 lb-ft of torque at about 4100 rpm. Great! Except the rpm value for the HP seems quite low. Could my camshaft timing be off? I have some offset cam keys (Chrysler parts) from the previous owner, so should I be using them? It seems like I want to retard the cam slightly to raise the HP peak rpm. To retard it I shold turn the cam slightly clockwise when looking at the engine from the passeneger side of the car. Does this sound right to those in the know? Lastly, the car idles great when cold but won't idle at all when warm. Is this a related symptom, or do I have another problem (opportunity) to deal with.

Thanks for your help! Oh one more thing, is that a good, bad or mediocre amount of horsepower for a mid-pack ITB Golf?

kevin