Yes, "026 G" is one of the 3 or 4 U.S. OEM cams allowed for a hydraulic lifter ITB Golf. I don't remember how it compares with the other choices, but it was original in MANY U.S. cars (and definitely the 1985 10:1 GTI). My recollection is that this one is only the second best choice, in that it has more lift but less duration than one of the others.

All 1988-92 1.8L 8V Golfs sold in the U.S. were 10:1, as well as 1985-1987 GTIs.

The real "049 N" cam was an OEM assymetric SOLID lifter 1.8L cam, designed by VW to make the big-valve head compliant with certain emissions standards. It's better than some other stock cams, but it's only similarity to the 049 G is that the exhaust lift is similar enough to fool the unwary. I probably don't know and certainly can't prove its original model application. BE VERY CAREFUL, THIS CAM WILL HURT PERFORMANCE AND BE LITERALLY NON-COMPLIANT IN ITC due to an exhuast lift slightly greater than allowed for the "G" cam. I've also seen examples of this cam that were MISLABELED "049 G", but made in Mexico or Brazil rather than Germany.

The "049 G" cam, as has been correctly described, was a homologated and/or superceding part number for the small-valve cylinder heads (1.5/1.6/1.7, NOT 1.8L). I don't know the history of the paperwork, but I do know something that most don't. This cam WAS actually imported on U.S. cars. It came as original on at least some 1973-1976 AUDIs sold in the U.S. With the VW/Audi remanufactured cylinder heads being in very high demand into the early '80s (apparently due to valve guide problems), and the core acceptance policy of taking any such VW/Audi 1.5/1.6/1.7L head WITH cam for rebuilding for warranty repairs, the VWOA recycled cams legitimately ended up in a number of stock cars, both unintentionally AND intentionally.