I would like to repair some of the brake lines in my 83 Rabbit GTI. The last 6" or so of the front lines got a bit twisted when I tried to remove the old rubber lines and install stainless last year. There is no physical damage, and they seem to work fine for autox and normal driving, but since I plan to take the car to the track, I want to make sure I won't have any problems, basically I need peace of mind.

I don't know much about the lines as far as what size the 2 options:

- replace the whole line, which would require purchasing, bending, flaring, and routing the lines through the engine bay - doesn't sound like fun to me.

- cutting off the twisted end and using a compression fitting.

So, would a compression fitting withstand the rigors of track driving? If so, where would I buy them and the tools needed?

Would it be easier to cut out just the section off the line that's bad, keeping the end that's already flared, and use 2 comp. fittings to splice in the the new piece

OR

cut off the whole end, do a comp. fitting and flare the end?

I also plan to remove the rear brake lines and put in stainless soon, is there a trick to avoid kinking the lines, as I'm assuming the rears will be just as rusted as the fronts were.

Thanks,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB