Hey all. Ok, have yet another question. Ive located what looks like a good candidate for my ITB project, but there is an issue with the registration. Here in CA, where the DMV is akin to Satan, there are funky laws pertaining to registering cars. The one Im looking at is from model year 1981, so it is subject to smog certification rules (all cars 1976-newer have to be smogged). The guy Im looking to buy it from has a valid bill of sale from the city of Long Beach, as he bought it at auction there. However, he never registered it (long story, but seems pretty plausible). Now that he wants to sell it, according to CA law, it needs to be smogged. Unfortunately, its not in drivable condition (bad diff.). So, I though we could just do a non-op. NOPE! You can only do those within 60 prior or 90 days after the registration period (December, in this case). All regular registration fees need to be paid up to that point. The only way he can sell it to me that would work is to do a “Junk Title.” Basically, according to the DMV, the car would be treated like a parts car at a junkyard. I can do so many of those a year as a private citizen. The catch is that the wheels cannot be on a public road. That included towing… on anything other than a flatbed. You CAN tow it, but none of the wheels can touch the ground. Otherwise you have to get a one-day “transportation permit” to move it. The good part of that whole deal is that you do not have to register the car or have insurance on it (which you do in CA even if its non-op). Confused yet? Good.

So here is the question. Are there any rules stipulations regarding the title and registration of a race vehicle in the SCCA? Im sure you have to have legal ownership, but what is there beyond that? What do you guys do when the registration comes up? Do you just go for the non-op? Do you put the smog gear back on so it can pass the test? Im trying to figure out if this car would be more trouble than its worth due to the registration issue. Please help! Thanks!

Jive