I need to give credit to "John the Impaler
" on this one from the Spec Miata NER baord, but I really liked his definitions of "on track incidents":

We've all seen each of these I'm sure...

1: ‘Racing Oops’ – where unintentional contact/etc. just happens, in spite of the best intentions of both parties. Side-by-side in a corner, somebody has a little wiggle and there is contact, etc. I’ve been on the giving and receiving end of these, and always knew what it was, right when it happened. Had it happen with a regular here in Specmiata.com, and as I got out of my car, my first line to him was “I knew you didn’t mean to do that !”. Apology accepted, even before he could blurt it out.

Now…the following two are harder to differentiate –

2: ‘Bad Judgment’ – Somebody makes a bad/stupid/inexperienced move, which costs you positions or results in contact or a crash. ‘Bad Judgment’ is sometimes ‘actionable’ via a protest. Too many people try to brush off ‘Bad Judgment’ as ‘one of them racing thangs’, but in reality they are not taking responsibility for the mess they created. Repeated incidents of ‘Bad Judgment’ require some sort of action, and a simple apology or scolding in the paddock won’t do. Some drivers need to be put ‘on notice’ that they have to clean up their act. Good time to start the protest process.

3: ‘Malicious Idiocy’ – Some people try to explain ‘Malicious Idiocy’ as a momentary absence of good judgment, and the real $hitwitz try to explain it as ‘one of them racing thangs’. These are the times that a protest should always be started, regardless of any half-hearted apology or dim explanation.

Original Thread from sm.com

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...=7;t=000715;p=0

Cheers,

------------------
Colin Harmer
ITB 2-Red Golf
Halifax, NS
www.gomuchfaster.com
[email protected]