There is a reality that we must consider here-previous experience at the PDE level. There are those of us with a great deal of seat time on specific tracks. That is a good thing to have as an instructor. Being able to communicate with your students about the track is a key to a successful outcome.

I had a student at Pocono who claimed a lot of experience at Lime Rock. These are 2 very different tracks. Pocono can and is driven at speeds in excess of 130 by some people. This particular driver used his turbo to excess and would not back off when told to. He failed to follow my instructions. His level of agression was way too high for a PDE. I was about to bring him in when the engine decided to go limp due to an air duct falling off. He was not on track again that day.
By comparison, the son of a Viper owner was on track in a turboed Nissan and wanted as much instruction as possible. I finally convinced him that disabling or at least reducing the boost would be very helpful-he agreed and proceeded to run some great (smooth) laps. Neither driver is truly ready to run on a high speed track. The latter is going to do fine because he has the right attitude and support of his father.

As to applying experience, I agree with Emwavey that some sort of personal log is appropriate. I would then add what is required at Indy-observation by instructors/seasoned drivers and then a sign off if appropriate. Do this before a licensing school and one will discover who is ready to go forward. I said earlier that adding layers is not a good thing in and of itself. We already have them. Someone simply needs to refine what is there.
More food for thought.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow