There's been a surge recently in the, "Hey, build whatever you want and come have fun!" kind of response when people ask about building an <insert model of car here>.

I am NOT picking on anyone in particular but am I the only one who thinks that MAYBE we do people who are just starting in this game a disservice by not explaining some of the harsher realities about this kind of decision?

Some people (hey, Jeff!) do manage against the odds and diversity is great but it seems like too many don't survive the steep part of the learning curve with their enthusiasm and credit rating intact.

Same goes for the build vs. buy question, the "How can I be a professional racer?" question, the "How much does it cost?" question, etc.

SCCA membership has hovered around 50K for ages now and I've never done a formal study obviously but I'd guess that the average club racing career is about 3 years - and that's including the outliers who last for decades. Turnover is a huge issue for this organization and it bothers me a little that new racers are pretty much left to their own devices to sometimes assure that they blow out early.

I'm not saying that I would have listened to good advice had I gotten any, but isn't it worth it to try? Even running the risk of being seen as a wet blanket or destroying someone's dream?

K