I've only been racing a few years and I was wondering what the IT community thought was ethical in buying a car from a long distance.
Hypothetical story:
I find a car for sale on the IT site that is 1700 miles away. I like everything about the car and have already contacted the seller and the builder of the car to get more info.I am pleased with what they have to say.Let's say the seller is asking 7k I make an offer for 6k over the phone. The seller says he'll think about and to call him back that night and he'll let me know.I try to call him back and only get his voice mail. I leave a message. Next day, same thing. On the third day I finally get a hold of him and he says 6k is too low but he will take 6300. I say fine ,I'll buy it. He says ok. I say we have to figure out delivery. He tells me he is having a new car built and it is halfway between where we live. we discuss how that would work for both of us. He says he will email the builder of the new car to get an exact date and he will call me tomorrow.I hang up excited I have made a deal on a car that I want.Next day,no call,so I try to call, only voice mail.This goes on for 4 days. Then I email the builder of the car I thought I was buying looking for another contact number. He emails me back and says"guessing you didn't send a deposit, the car is already sold".I'm 1700 miles away, the seller didn't ask for a deposit during our conversation(I expected we would discuss that when he called back about specific delivery dates), and even if he did ask and I did send a deposit the following day it would have taken 3 or 4 days to get there. Meanwhile, I'm telling everyone I made a deal on a good car when really I'm getting shafted.
What do you guys think????