I would like to shed some light on the subject of jumping into the World Challenge series. I used to race in ITS in the northeast and in 1996 I decided to try a World Challenge race. I have been competiting in the series every year since. As for going from IT to WC I think that it is great and I welcome anyone. As far as the tallent end goes most of the WC drivers were tops in their class at the club level. Thats the reason most of us stepped up into the Pro ranks. For me it was a bigger challenge.

As to what it is like to go from a regional class to WC let me just say that it is a very very sobering experience. At the club level we were usually one of the top cars in ITS for several years I rarely finished out of the top 3. I am sure that is how it is for most of the WC competitors out there. The difference between the front runners and the back markers, such as myself, is money and time. How much money you ask? In order to be competitive it will cost approximately $150,000 to build a front running car. And it will cost approximately $10,000 per race to run the car. In the BMW that I drive it went from being able to run a stock motor, ECU and Bilstein shocks to having to have a $25,000 motor, $10,000 Motec unit and $6,000 in shocks. WC is not for the faint of heart or wallet. Can you run events in WC absolutely! Will you be a top 10 of 5 car probably not. Not unless you have committed the dollars and resources. Most of the top teams in Touring and GT treat the series as a full time job, Turner, Realtime and Tripoint just to name a few. For the reset of us it should be treated as a great experience with the hope of having one of those perfect weekends whereby we could sneak into the top 10 or 15.

Please do not slam anyone for trying it. As for the real side of all of those rides out there with the top teams and their press releases anouncing their driver lineups here is the truth. Most (95%) of the drivers either fund their own operation or pay to drive a car. The Tripoint team wants appox $15,000/weekend to run one of their top cars I would assume the same for the rest of the teams. Could you rent a car for less - yes will it be the same as a Tripoint, Turner or Realtime ride? I doubt it.

For us small guys trying to do this back us and root for us as we come from the same background as the rest of you.

I have personally used the series as a chance to run tracks that I would never have gone to such as Laguna Seca, Las Vegas, Portland, Texas Motor Speedway etc. I do this on the budget that suits my limits/desires. I look at a top 10 as a win based on my time/budget constraints.