This post is prompted by an incident at the ARRC, but has been of growing concern to me for a good while now. I drive an ex-ITD MG Midget in ITC, simply because that's the only place for us now without investing a lot more money in the car. We are of course slower than about 90% of the field, and make a conserted effort to stay out of other competitor's "racing room" by waving them by. The incident at the ARRC occurred in Turn 5 on the 3rd lap of the first qualifying session (ie, cool weather, cold tires, cold brains). I was aware that an "here-to-be-un-named" driver in an ITB was approaching thru the esses, but not that closely. I set up for 5 on the outside curbing, turned across to the inside apex, and was broadsided by this guy trying to get inside me; not brutal contact, but full-length scrape and dent. I protested the incident, was promptly heard by the SOM Court, and was astounded to be be found "equally at fault".

Here's what troubles me-- the growing number of drivers who seen to leave their brains (along with any sense of responsibility) in the paddock when they set wheels to track, and forget that this is supposed to be amateur racing. I can't count the number of times I have seen dangerous, banzai moves that risk life and equipment, and that's just in meaningless practice sessions! This is what many drivers don't seem to grasp: the fact that you are behind a slower car does not grant you the right to pass at will; the car that has the line has the line, and if you have to wait to make a sane pass, then you wait. My incident at Turn 5
involved another driver who I doubt has had much experience at difficult-to-learn Road Atlanta, which would indicate additional caution while learning the track. Fat chance.

At the Labor Day races at RA a month earlier, my partner was banzaied in the esses in the closing laps by a Spec Miata
making a totally meaningless pass in a place where you don't even try meaningful passes. Since there was no room to pass, the Miata ended up in the grass on the outside, where he kicked up an old driveshaft hidden in the grass; it bounced out onto the track, up across our fender and hood, and smashed the driver's side windshield. Does anybody out there lack the imagination to visualize the results if this shaft had happened to have been "spear" oriented? My friend would be dead.

The point of this diatribe is to ask those of you that we share the track with to be aware that there are consequences to what you do out there. You do not have the right to indulge your Speed Racer fantasies at the expense of your fellow competitors' equipment, or, ultimately, lives. We all have the right to use the racetrack, drive the line, and have fun; the only way this can happen is if you can trust the sanity of your fellow drivers, and,
sadly, this seems to be a dwindling expectation.

Am I alone in this opinion?

James Wiley
ITC #72 , Atlanta Region