I'm posting in a new subject for a couple reasons, but most importantly, I would like to know thoughts on this. If I submitted the rule as proposed below, who would support it, who wouldn't, and why. Please do not turn this into a "it doesn't matter because it won't get changed" thread. I'm looking for thoughtful, intelligent feedback.

Also, I'd really be interested in knowing what you guys can find wrong with this one. (that's an honest question- I really would like to know for my own improvement).

The proposed rule change wording is in bold below.

---------------------------

The stock ECU must be used (including board, housing, and connector). Up to two chips may be desoldered for the purposes of programming, and may be socketed (regular or ZIF sockets). Any replacement chips must have the same number of pins as stock. The ECU must be able to be read by any commercially available scan tool using the stock ECU configuration and ID.
---------------------------

This allows reprogramming, without making the rule overly cumbersome to read and enforce. Hook up any scan tool, set the stock ID for that car, and check. If it don't respond, it's out. If there's a reason to look further (as in it's identified in the protest), pull the unit and check (probably a $50-75 bond).

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."