Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
The point is that all tuning should be done to the stock ECU....( much like tuning a stock carb)because it is not easy to police. As far as an ecu that has not been cracked I would suggest that's part of the development of any car that is an IT candidate. I would also suggest that people need to look outside the normal sources for cracked ECU's. If there is a desire to get it done it can be done for any car out there.

Yes!!!

If you add up the $$ it took to put Motecs in a few BMWs (parts and labor costs) along with the development time for the maps, I'm sure someone could've paid someone to getthe stock one to work reasonably well. In fact, they probably could've turned around and made money by selling it to the street guys who didn't want to go the Motec route.

Now, would a Motec ultimately be better for racing? I believe so, but I also believe that the limitations of the stock unit fall within the scope of IT as a class. IT should be about taking the MAJOR stock components (engine, control system, trans, suspension) and making it into a reliable race car by *modifying* them in minor ways. You can hack the stock ECU, the same way that you can balance and blueprint. You can't use aftermarket controllers, the same way that you can't use a different (non stock) crankshaft.

Joe, I agree with you in principle on things (from what I've seen on here). I just equate the wiring issue to more like fasteners (electrical fasteners essentially) while the ECU itself is a major component that should be stock at its core.

And, woo hoo, 200 posts.

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."