Then how do you determine what is a factory authorized repair when dealing with something like crash damage. I've looked through my Factory Shop Manuals and nowhere does it state service procedures for repairs that would including rebending frames and sheet metal which would also typically include rewelding. So does that mean without documentation the work can not be done?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but it brings up a real concern as my car was obviously involved in an accident before I bought it. As part of the repair a seam was welded in order to fix the torn spot welds. Is this legal. And if so how do you draw the line between this and the preventative repairs done on the E36.

Also, what's to stop a factory looking to support their cars in racing from issuing a TSB on something like a new cam. Remember TSB's aren't required so it wouldn't cost the factory anything but suddenly all the brand X cars could be claiming their cam, flywheel, pistons failed due to reason X, here is an authorized replacement and they now have a faster car that is theoretically legal. If we deviate from what was supplied to the public at large soon we might end up back in the days like SS in the late 80's early 90's where factory backed cars were anything but what the generally public could have. Right now it would be easy for Mazda to authorize a new cam for the Miata and a large number of SS and IT racers could suddenly be much more competitive. Is that what we want to allow?