------------
Come race with us in Xsanctiong_bodyX. You can run whatever size wheels you want, and you can convert to a Mass Air Sensor. Starting in 2004, all of our classes will be based on power to weight ratios. You can run a jet engine* if you want.
------------

So I see a lot of people complaining about the complexity of the rules and regs in the SCCA. Especially compared with other, newer, sanctioning bodies. (This is fine, of course, people can have their opinions about whatever they want.) However, it seems to me that what happens a lot of the time is that sanctioning bodies want to start racing with a wide-open, run what ya brung kind of style. Which is really cool for a little while. Nobody's car is really prepared to the extent of whatever few rules there are, and everybody is just out there having a good time. Great. (Probably like the SCCA in the early 60's?) Then what happens is that someone with a little extra money to spend, and a little more time on their hands builds something that dominates the class and everyone agress that whatever "that" is, it should be outlawed immediately. This leads to more and more rules as time passes, that everyone mostly agrees are in everyone's best interest.

Then the next thing ya know, you have a mature rules set that actually tries very hard to make racing fair for everyone. This is where the SCCA is now. (The good sign of this, btw, is when there starts to be 100 classes of racing in a day.)

Import drag racing started up just like that. Few rules or classes, just kids off the street goofing off. Cool. Now everyone has to have helmets and everything.

So, all I'm saying is that I'd really rather build a car to a very solid, if very complicated rules set, than to one that is not mature, and will undoubtedly change very quickly and expensively. Many, many hours have been spent trying to make good rules in our club, and I appreciate that. That's why I'm an SCCA guy. And I'm not even old.

*Original post did not say 'jet engine.' It said, 'feeblefetzer.' No, wait. '100mpg carburetor.'