Originally posted by ITSRX7:
What class might you be talking about? In IT, the passenger glass is contained by wither the factory door panel or an aluminum skin as per the rules. Drivers door glass is typically gone due to NASCAR style roll bars and when that style of cage isn't used, removing the door panel isn't legal. How does the glass escape?

AB
AB,
I was refuting the idea of changing to plastic windows, the fact that plastic is used to save weight not to make things safer.
And probably more than a few cars, 2- and 4-door models, in IT, showroom stock, and production all carry OEM glass in their rear side windows, which are not rolled down into door pockets, and which when suffering a heavy blow in the side spew broken glass across the course. And you know, I often wonder just how capable that cardboard door panel is for keeping broken glass from blowing towards the driver's seat after a heavy blow.(I know -a good reason to put in the aluminum panel.)
But realy... the point here is why should we carry anything that has no purpose and in fact may present a risk? Quit trying to be smarter than I am and think. I'll grant you the intellectual superiority if you can give me one good reason to carry a rolled-down window glass in a race car (Showroom Stock notwithstanding as representative of total OEM standards and dual purpose intent.)

GRJ

[This message has been edited by grjones1 (edited December 02, 2003).]