Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: melo's pass on bergmeister ??

Some random thoughts based on previous comments....

- Melo knew exactly what he was doing. Don't forget, when he ran Jorg into the wall at T16, I believe he did so purposely to run him through all the marbles and junk along the inside of the track. Thus, when Jorg runs his line through T17, he likely was not able to hold the line as tight as he might have liked and left a hint of daylight.

- Melo only serves to underscore the questionable tactics many European drivers employ at the pro level. Witness any BTCC race for evidence.

- No chance Melo would ever apologize. Did anyone hear his comments? In his mind he was defending his position!

- Even his co-driver Johnny Mowlem indicated that it was lucky Melo was in the car because he wouldn't have done that. (Note: he didn't come right out and say that, but it was implied.)

- Melo knew he had a berm. Remember, eight tires corner better than four!

- I don't buy the unintentional or unavoidable idea. Melo purposely slowed more than the Porsche to crossover from outside to inside. Additionally, there was a whole car width open coming under the bridge when Melo started to come inside. His late-apex line would have him going straighter at that point than Jorg. He would almost have to turn left to get into the Porsche, which probably would have been proven had Speed gone to the Ferrari roof camera for a replay. He simply knew that the only way to slow down the Porsche was to 'get him loose'.

- The "accidentally flipped his visor up" is just Ferrari spin by David Sims (?). The replay showed that the visor was up from the time the crew member's feet hit pit lane. There was no accident, they just screwed up. What do they care? No one is going to call them on it, but it's BS none the less.

- I agree that Melo is going for a ride sometime this year, and I'll stand and applaud Jorg when it happens!
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

- I agree that Melo is going for a ride sometime this year, and I'll stand and applaud Jorg when it happens!
    [/b]
    I'm sure we all got our own opinions on your other comments, but I couldn't let this one pass. Wether you think Melo's move was wrong because it's dangerous, unprofessional, or gutless any retribution would be as well. In fact the most dangerous moves I've typically seen are results of some kind of payback. Wasn't it just a couple years ago at Daytona that two drivers (maybe Mad Max?) screamed down towards turn 1 repeatedly bouncing off each other?

If intentionally hitting someone is wrong, it is always wrong. How likely is it that Melo felt justified because at some point in the past he had lost a position in a similar way and he as just evening the score?

Fortunately, club racing is a lot more relaxed. At least most of the time.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Some day, perhaps in NASCAR, someone is going to be killed by being "wrecked out", and, despite all the waivers, the decedent's family is going to sue for wrongful death and have a decent shot at winning. Likewise, the offending driver might be subject to charges of criminal assault if not some flavor of homicide.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I'm sure we all got our own opinions on your other comments, but I couldn't let this one pass. Wether you think Melo's move was wrong because it's dangerous, unprofessional, or gutless any retribution would be as well. In fact the most dangerous moves I've typically seen are results of some kind of payback. Wasn't it just a couple years ago at Daytona that two drivers (maybe Mad Max?) screamed down towards turn 1 repeatedly bouncing off each other?

If intentionally hitting someone is wrong, it is always wrong. How likely is it that Melo felt justified because at some point in the past he had lost a position in a similar way and he as just evening the score?

Fortunately, club racing is a lot more relaxed. At least most of the time.
    [/b]
    Well all the 'pros' that were interviewed made it seem like that's part of the game, and if it indeed is, then they have to know that somewhere down the road a payback is coming. Whether or not it's right is up to the participants I guess.

The incident to which you refer was Max Papis and Jan Magnussen and it was at Homestead. It wasn't a case of payback or retribution, it was the second to last lap of the race.

I think the most telling item is the ALMS' response prior to any protest being filed which was essentially, "Don't bother, save the paper." If that's their perspective then they have essentially sanctioned that behavior. So none of us should be surprised if it happens again in the future. The precedent has been set.

To clarify again, I think it was a shita$$ move. But given the reaction of the drivers who were interviewed topped off by the officials reaction to a possible protest, we're definitely in for more of the same. And hey, it's their sandbox.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

After watching the DP race at Homestead, yesterday. I suppose in professional racing, slam dancing is just business as usual. I'm glad I'm an amateur. It helps me to respect myself and those I race with.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic