Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAL weekend updates

Unhappy

Here I am, starting the topic and stupid me forgot to get the results of the enduro when I went up to the track to catch up with Raymond and his Dad tonight. All I know is that the race went well and with relatively no issues (as far as protests and such). I will grab the results in the AM when I go up to register and post them before qualifying of the ITB race. I will get whatever results I can to post periodically during the day.
    Incidently, the paddock looked fairly empty tonight. Not many people.
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

Ok, I've got them.....first of all, sad to say, Ray (the Dad) Blethen, is not racing today. Turns out there was a clutch issue that they did not know about, but the car will be ready for Cheap Date for sure.

Yesterday's results......Little Le Mans....these are the overall IT finishes....

3rd -- ITS - Linscott/Gregory
    4th -- ITA - Andrade/Martins
    6th -- ITS - Miskoe/Tier
    15th - ITA - Kogan/Kogan
    16th - ITA - Meindl/Papa
    18th - ITC - Megliola/Megliola
    21st - ITA - Brooks/Power

Today -- Qualifying Results -- Official in class results with times
    ITA
    1st -- Brandon Bogart -- 1:16.058
    2nd -- Richard Hunter -- 1:16.335
    3rd -- Brett Bogart -- 1:17:032
    4th -- Geoff Branscombe -- 1:17:499
    5th -- Philip Gott -- 1:17:977
    6th -- James Alley -- 1:19:601
    7th -- Matthew Daniels -- 1:19:858
    8th -- Michael Buccella 1:20:719
    9th -- Sean Siff -- 1:21:098
    10th -- David Faita -- 1:21:219
    11th -- Linda Kogan --1:21:377
    12th -- Dick Patullo -- 1:22:008
    13th -- Paul Masters -- 1:24:788
    14th -- Courtney Hubbard -- 1:26:994
    DNS -- Andy Bettencourt, Tim Klvana, Windell Holmes, Matt Delgaudio, Erik Shifflett, Will Martins, Jeremy Sheppard.

ITS/ITB in order of qualifying. Position number designates overall position.

1 -- ITS -- Jeff Harding -- 1:15.260
    2 -- ITS -- Dave Maynard -- 1:15.884
    3 -- ITS -- Ed Tisdale -- 1:15.941
    4 -- ITB -- Jim McMahon -- 1:17.479
    5 -- ITS -- Robert Blake -- 1:17.613
    6 -- ITS -- Jerry Rigali -- 1:17.797
    7 -- ITS -- Maurizio Cerasoli -- 1:18.035
    8 -- ITS -- Glenn Lawton -- 1:18.794
    9 -- ITS -- Domenic Crugnale -- 1:19.502
    10 -- ITB -- Paul Curran --1:19.627
    11 -- ITS -- Bill Weaver -- 1:19.974
    12 -- ITB -- Nat Wentworth -- 1:20.490
    13 -- ITB -- Jason Benagh -- 1:21.032
    14 -- ITB -- Anthony Ruddy -- 1:21.206
    15 -- ITB -- Julie Melbin -- 1:22.360
    16 -- ITB -- Matt Baldoni --1:22.971
    17 -- ITS -- Eric Snyder --1:23.131
    18 -- ITS -- Paul Omichinski -- 1:25.130
    DNS- ITB -- Ray Blethen III
    ITB -- Enrik Benazic
    ITB -- Beran Peter
    ITS -- Brian Begnali
    ITS -- Russ Jones
    ITS -- Mike Carr

I have not gotten the ITC qualifying as of yet but will post that later on.

Can you believe McMahon's time? Unreal. He flew!!!!! All the qualifying was in the dry. Looks like the races will probably see rain.

Raymond was doing his thing as SIT and Stephen was there for the AM to watch but had to go this afternoon to his girlfriend's gram's wake. Our thoughts are with Stephanie.

It was also great to see Victor up and about walking and stuff, even with his back brace on. Looking forward to seeing him in the seat of a race car in the future.

And, just as a note....Jim McMahon's daughter is building an ITB Manta just like her Dad's. Now if she races a car like she ski races, you guys are in deep doo-doo.

Til later this afternoon......

First, great to hear about Victor.... Glad to hear he's in the loop, and kicking tires.

Second...Jims time?!?!?!?!? Whoa!!!!!!!!!! That placed him 4th in a fast ITA field!!! A staggering time. he's what, 2 SECONDS ahead of the field??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

all I have to say is standing in the rain sucks
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Sorry to nit-pick Trish, but those are the qualifying positions for the enduro. I wish we finished 6th.

9th -- ITS - Linscott/Gregory 257 laps
    12th - ITA - Kogan/Kogan 24 laps
    16th - ITC - Megliola/Megliola 210 laps
    17th - ITA - Brooks/Power 202 laps
    18th -- ITS - Miskoe/Tier 190 laps
    19th -- ITA - Andrade/Martins 175 laps
    DNF - ITA - Meindl/Papa 29 laps

OA winner did 264 laps in a SM car.

As best as I know, there were no full course cautions during the entire 6 hours. But then again we were off track for 2 hrs while we changed diff's. I thought the racing was pretty clean & polite, however there were only 22 cars out there.

Matt

It was a good evebt. It would have been cool to have more cars. Perhaps with the race being lengthened from four to six hours that chassed afew people away. I hear the race is going to eight hours next year. I think something that should be done to get more people to run are give out trophies to the top three in each class not overall. Shouldn't all the classes be recognized?

Sorry about the Enduro results.......It was sprinkling, and I had to copy from what was posted and I thought, as did several others that the results hanging on the wall were the Final Race results.....goes to show you, I need new glasses......

Well, here are the final race results which I got hot off the press as they came off as I worked in Timing this afternoon....

ITA

1st -- Paul Masters
    2nd -- Matt Daniels
    3rd -- Richard Hunter
    4th -- James Alley
    5th -- Brett Bogart
    6th -- Sean Siff
    7th -- Michael Bucella
    8th -- David Faita
    9th -- Dick Patullo
    10th--Linda Kogan
    11th Courtney Hubbard
    12 -- Phillip Gott
    DNF -- Geoff Branscombe
    DNF -- Brandon Bogart

ITS

1st -- Dave Maynard
    2nd -- Glenn Lawton
    3rd -- Ed Tisdale
    4th -- Bill Weaver
    5th -- Eric Snyder
    6th -- Paul Omichinski
    7th -- Jerry Rigoli
    DNF -- Maurizio Cerasoli
    DNF -- Robert Blake
    DNF -- Jeff Harding
    DNS -- Domenic Crugnale

ITB
    1st -- Jim McMahon (3rd overall and 41 seconds ahead of 2nd ITB car)
    2nd -- Paul Curran
    3rd -- Anthony Ruddy
    4th -- Matt Baldoni
    5th -- Julie Melbin
    6th -- Nat Wentworth
    DNF -- Jason Benagh

ITC
    1st -- Brian Megliola
    DNF F--Fred White
    (Incidently, the overall winner was Steven Gorroaram in SSM who started at the back of the pack -- something about he disqualified himself from the grid after qualifying -- I didn't get the whole story, not only was in first place within a few laps but he also lapped 1/2 the field-- one fast car in the rain)

ITE (I apologize but I didn't get this qualifying this am)

1st -- Peter Faill
    2nd-- Andy Sanborn
    3rd -- Thomas Sheehan
    4th -- Ephraim Dobbins
    DNS -- Jim Barrett
    DNS -- Bob Tucker
    (Gee, Tom Kelley ran his SPO VW Golf -- pretty car, but looked a bit hairy in turn 12 when he put the power down in the rain)

It rained pretty hard this afternoon at times....The funniest race of the day was the FV race.....3 cars.....we had trouble staying focused in timing on that race.....

all I have to say is standing in the rain sucks
    [/b]

But DRIVING in it is a blast!!!!!!!!

Matt Bal

WOW a 1:17 in an ITB car. That has to be close to the record!! What kind of car is it??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Jim's running an Opel Manta and I was told that he holds the ITB record at a 1:17.3 something so he didn't beat his own record this weekend. But still, that's damned fast!!!!! And to think his daughter is going to build a twin to it! With Dad's help of course. That could be a an unbeatable combination!!!!

But DRIVING in it is a blast!!!!!!!!

Matt Bal
    [/b]

You looked good in the rain. You were quite smooth going by T & S.

DNF -- Brandon Bogart[/b]
    I heard rumors there was more to this than a simple "Did Not Finish"...?"

I heard rumors there was more to this than a simple "Did Not Finish"...?" [/b]
    Yes. Brandon hit the wall in a wet Group 1. Most of the ITA drivers went out on slicks and the track got real wet by the green flag. Someone from BBR can comment on how he got into the wall if they choose...

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

WOW a 1:17 in an ITB car. That has to be close to the record!! What kind of car is it??
    [/b]

Jeff-

Jim was in a Opel GT, a small little coupe, I mean small!!! I wonder if a miata can even see it coming I love the car, but as you niticed 1:17... I think everyone can agree that thier probably is not any other car that will likely go that fast here in the Northeast for a while, and we have what I like to think of as a lot of the best of the best in the country. NHIS inparticular has a very large list of VW's that reguarly compete and they might be able to chime in but can you guys touch that time? That is faster than any VW can go at NHIS IMO. I think the only other cars that have proven to be even close to it are the Volvos driven by Paul Curran and Scott Carlson... Oh thier was once this old guy name Rick Pocock wo had a very fast Alfa Spider as well, cool car, and my fathers long time "hero" . At any rate I think that "the rest of us" will be compeating for second for a while.

Jim's son and daughter are building a Opel Manta. NOT the same car and if built to the max I would guess they might get into the 1:20's or 1:19's wich is more on par with the class.

As for Jim's car it is a rare beast that has always been fast. With the rest of the ITB field all within 1-2 seconds of each other and him being 2 seconds faster than anyone else will certainly continue to raise eyebrows and suspisions (As with anyone that "blows away" the competition). I wonder how successful other Opel GT's have been and if Jim will take the ultimate challenge and go to the ARRC!!!

Raymond "Glad to see you back Jim, just slow down a bit " Blethen

PS: I was a bit busy to really get a chance to talk to Jim, but in passing he was hoping that the car would be in the 1:16's soon... YIKES!!!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I have to say it was a blast running with the ITB/ITS group. I have always liked the rain, and Tom Kelly was kind enough to pony up the $$ for rain tires for the Progressive Motorsports Golf rental.

Matt and I battled for much of the race, first with me chasing him down... then with he chasing me down. It was quite a battle for the last few laps. I was doing everything I could to keep Matt behind me, as he tried to do everything he could to get by me. Despite the close racing, both cars came back in the same condition.

I started racing in the mid-90's running ITB, so it was nostalgic to race there again and get a trophy. (No, I did not get trophies back then) The only problem is that my 3-year old has already laid claim to the silver dish for her tea set!
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Interesting.

The Manta shares the same wheelbase and brakes and transmissions as the Opel GT, and the 1900 sedan, but the GT gets a 9.0:1 compression ratio engine where the others have 7.6:1. Weight on the sedan and the GT are 2180, where the MAnta is higher at 2230.

So, it's 1.9L, 9 to 1 compression on a 96" wheelbase witha 4 speed and 2180 pounds. Anyone know what this 1.9 puts out in race trim?
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

at lrp jim and i ran close together in qualifying. i did not see any magic horse power down the straights unless he freshen'd the motor since then.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

at lrp jim and i ran close together in qualifying. i did not see any magic horse power down the straights unless he freshen'd the motor since then.
    [/b]

Rick-

The car has been tuned up from what I understand... I think he was in the Mid 20's at the last NHIS event

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

This was a great event with a good mix of cars. Too bad there weren't more. Also too bad our engine grenaded at the 4:10 mark or so. By my our count, our ITA car was 1st in class and 1st overall up until that point!

This was our first enduro ever, but hopefully not our last! Either way, congratulations to the winners and to all who participated and kept the racing fun & clean.

Cheers,

Will
    #10 ITA Miata
    Andrade/Martins/Daniels
    Will
    # 72 Miata ITA
    1.6 liters of furious power!

[/b]
    Hey...I'm not suggesting "magic" HP, I'm just trying to get a handle on the specs....kinda my job, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I am curious about Masters, Daniel and Alley. What were they driving? I believe Masters has a CRX but what about the rest of the players? If they took it to Richy they have to have something worth mentioning. I would also like to hear more about Brandon - Hope all is well. Also - does this 3rd place finish put Richy in the NERRC points lead?? It should be close, no?

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller