Thread: How do we attract new racers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How do we attract new racers?

American Endurance Racing AER
    Champ Car Endurance Racing
    24 Hours of Lemons
    NASA PT, SE30, 944 and SM Classes

Why are they so successful despite their lack of organization and structure. What did the SCCA (and MCSCC) miss? What happened while we got so comfy?
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

American Endurance Racing AER - 180TW tires

Champ Car Endurance Racing - 180TW tires

24 Hours of Lemons - 190TW tires

NASA PT, SE30, 944 and SM Classes - Significant penalty for 40TW tires/Toyo spec tires/Toyo spec Tires/Mandated Hoosier tires but the price is significantly subsidized and their contingency is good

Why are they so successful despite their lack of organization and structure. What did the SCCA (and MCSCC) miss? What happened while we got so comfy?
    <crickets, crickets, crickets, crickets, crickets, crickets...>

(Probably just coincidence)

Agree... that is part of the story isn't it. But it that it? You feel that it's a one dimensional issue? It's not about the run-what-you-brung, easy to understand rules? The bracket-racing? I agree with you on the Spec and PT tire rules completely, but do you think 944, Spec E30, and SM are only successful due to tire rules?
    Racer of old BMW's.

Quote Originally Posted by kgobey View Post
    But it that it? You feel that it's a one dimensional issue?
    Absolutely not. But I think the cost aspect - or even the impression of a cost aspect - certainly can be a significant factor.

Yeah that's it exactly. The notion that "I can be guaranteed a level playing field", combined with the notion that the rules are super easy for a lay-person to understand and build to and a simple formula for legitimacy in licensing are what drives them to these other series.

We can never compete on outright track time, but we can compete on ease of use. But how... ?
    Racer of old BMW's.

Brand identity definitely seems to be part of the problem. The very popular classes can be (and are) described in a succinct, attractive way.

If someone asked me to describe Improved Touring racing, I'm not confident that I can give them a short, interesting elevator speech.
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

Quote Originally Posted by kgobey View Post
    American Endurance Racing AER
    Champ Car Endurance Racing
    24 Hours of Lemons
    NASA PT, SE30, 944 and SM Classes

No, no, no.

It goes “All right then. Other then the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system and public health...”

It is the run what you brung mentality. It is the $/track time ratio. It’s long-stints in the car. It’s the go ahead and spend gobs if money to win your class, but we just bumped you up two classes so why did you spend the money?

200TW tires? Not it.

Topeka ensured our demise when they screwed over the Regions to save their own nut vis-a-vis The Runoffs.

I've had pretty good luck attracting/helping/working with new people and bringing them to IT (and beyond) over my time club racing. I've run Chump and the early days of NASA. I've got a good handle on most organizations running everything from track days to race weekends. The doom and gloom conversation about the SCCA and club racing/IT are the same old tune I've heard over the past ~20 years. The ups and downs of participation happen for many reasons. Everything you can think of would be a reason someone runs with group X or class Y. Some areas are doing GREAT while others struggle. The solution is NOT a one size fits all. Club racing with the SCCA in my neck of the woods is alive and well. Of course it could be better, but it's never enough...

My elevator pitch for SCCA club racing (and the classes offered) seems to work pretty well. I'm happy to give it in person to anyone - anytime.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA