Thread: Your Thoughts on Mandating 200+TW "Street Tires" in Improved Touring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It'd be great if a single spec tire manufacture could be selected, 100TW included. Doubt it could cover everyone's tire needs, but the potential of a spec pricing package might exist.

I too hear many friends who are primarily lemons guys say they'd like to give SCCA/NASA a try. The rub is that lemons doesn't do car leveling. While there are a small number of teams focused on, and capable of winning, most are there to simply circulate around and party. This is of course great, but doesn't really prepare one for sprint racing, speaking generally. These cars could have very different lap time potential and wouldn't necessarily have a good race amongst themselves.

They could be allowed in under the bracket enduro rule set, and have their own class, with A/B/C sub-classes. Maybe a hybrid Bracket event could include sprint races, with one or two groups. Qualify and sprint races first, followed by a break then a 4 hour enduro. They would qualify and have a standard rolling sprint start.

Is the Bracket enduro experiment working out at all currently?
    Jeff Giordano 81 ITS, ChampCar Stangs

Quote Originally Posted by JeffGio View Post
    Is the Bracket enduro experiment working out at all currently?
    National has cut back on it's support of the Bracket Enduro program. I think Central Florida and Chicago Regions are still doing some. the underlying CRE rule set is still viable and a number of regions are doing those but that is more about have a way to race with easier license standards.

this conversation is more about car prep.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Anyone writing letters yet? I'm curious about verbiage. I have to admit that I can see the significance of some of the drawbacks of going to 200tw, mainly the hindrance to people crossing into IT.

I would love to be able to buy 6 tires a year and have them still be halfway decent in October. Either way I'm budgeting for 6 tires a year, it's just weather or not I have anything worth a shit to bolt onto the front of my car in October. lol

From the July 2018 Fastrack Prelim Minutes:

IT General
    1. #24710 (Club Racing Board) 200 Treadwear Tires
    The CRB is considering requiring Tires with a minimum treadwear rating of 200 for all IT cars. Please provide your feedback through crbscca.com.
    And...go.

https://www.crbscca.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Letter sent.

How would this affect an IT car running in STL under the IT prep rules???
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    You'd get your ass kicked even worse.

I'm a little tired of some of the naysaying on the brown board that is coming from people who are not even going to be running IT with SCCA ever. If you have no interest in ever running IT go find some other pot to stir up, I'm sure some autocrossers are bitching about something somewhere, go muddy their water.

I did some shopping, and for me, 245/45R17 the 200TW offerings save me a minimum of $400 per set, which is basically an extra entry fee.

That is significant enough to get my attention for sure.

open up wheel diameter rules to allow everyone to find a tire and wheel combo that works for them
    Limit maximum wheel width per class.
    Limit maximum tire cross section per class.
    reserve the right to create a tire exclusion list if a tire does not meet the spirit of the rule.
    Set a Date for another round of member input on the subject after one full season of the rules implementation. Or is that just asking for a barrel of monkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    actually the tire rule for IT cars running in ST or Prod can be anything we want it to be.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Letter sent.