Thread: STL cylinder head porting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default STL cylinder head porting

any thoughts , if it were to be made a "legal" thing, what it would to to competition balance ?

I think, for the "worse " motors it would help more (miata 1.6 bp, Honda D series, older 1980's stuff) than the front runner engines like K series honda (and I guess, some miata bp's, hah), but would it just be a bigger hoop to jump to build a "top flight" engine?

I'll give you the philosophical argument, you guys can talk technical.

IT head prep is the cornerstone of three categories: Improved Touring, Super Touring (Light), and Limited Prep Production. All were created to try and minimize modifications in a (Sysiphian) goal of minimizing expensive modifications.

Unless and until we are willing to move STL into a realm of prep similar to Super Touring Under (e.g., porting, bigger brakes and tires, sequential gearboxes) and/or full-prep Prod (which is on the wane due to costs) then I suggest porting does not have a place in the class. and as/when we do that, it moves further toward reducing the differentiation of the class from other existing classes.

GA, "The Philosophy Guy"...

I completely agree it should not be in the class....

I DO think it would help some guys more than others. It'd likely help myself a LOT, as I picked an oddball engine (d15 non VTEC, and I picked it on purpose! So dumb)

I was surprised to see the question in fastrack. I'll be writing a reply....

Quote Originally Posted by adamjabaay View Post
    I was surprised to see the question in fastrack. I'll be writing a reply....
    Wait...what??? That did not come out of the STAC...

GA, re-reading Fastrack as we speak...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-20-2014 at 09:55 AM.

while i do not disagree with the philosophical argument i am curious what people think about Adam's actual question in who would benefit the most and what effect that would have on competitive balance.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

1. #15577 (Club Racing Board) Cylinder Heads
    Should STL allow cylinder head porting at a 1% weight penalty, similar to STU? Please send your response through the CRB letter system at crbscca.com.

(Comments deleted. I need to go spend the afternoon in the garage and calm down before I publicly write anything about this.)
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-20-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Yup...

Crystal ball says...

Someone on the CRB with an interest in STL, and particularly a make/model of STL car that may be benefiting from new "clarified" headwork allowances in another class, has gone around the STAC to slide a request into the queue? A request that will be decided on pretty much independently by the person who submitted it, given the CRB's inclination to defer to a category "expert" on a technical question like this...?

Dick P. - If this is what it looks like, you all have GOT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CONFLICT OF INTEREST SHIT. It's embarrassing. And I was a member back in the bad old "what brand of car is Doug Reed driving?" days of choosing a Showroom Stock ride...

K