Thread: School me on shoes-- which do you prefer?

Default School me on shoes-- which do you prefer?

I've had a pair of G-Force 235s for a while and I like them mostly in their simplicity and bang-for-buck. They're getting pretty worn out though and it's time to go for something more new and shiny.

I got some Impact shoes a year or so ago and they were absolute crapola. build quality was junk and the materials were sub-par and they literally fell apart on their 2nd race weekend. I'm back to the old G-Force that I kept for backup, and I don't want to make the mistake of buying junk again.

I'm of course on a budget so I can't afford $300 shoes that I wear 2 days a month. The G-Force are cheap and effective, but thought I'd see what others recommend before I go with the old standby..
    Feet are normal size, normal width, so I don't need anything weird. Prefer mid-top.

The floor of my 240SX gets pretty hot so I do like the heel cover that runs around and up the heel so the leather isn't exposed directly to the heat of the floor.

so what say you- any recommendations on something relatively inexpensive that isn't total sheit?

Thanks.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Proceed to ebay...lots of shoes (new and used)

Same situation here. I decided to try RaceQuip 303. They're in a box under the tree. I'll let you know on the 25th whether I like them .

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B004QMB...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Eagle7; 12-17-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added Amazon link.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Those Racequip look a lot like the G Force, and are definitely the right price.. let me know how they work out.

What's under my tree is a $100 bill and a picture of shoes because I don't know which ones I want. Go mom!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I use left over Pilotis that I hoarded before they went tits-up. Left over stock pops up on eBay on occasion.

I'm a bit of a shoe whore and have tried a bunch

Alpine Stars (Tek 1) I love them but they are pricey
    Pilotis (LMP)are comfortable but with a thick/wide sole
    Lico these were Sparco's "off" brand, decent for cheap if you can still find them
    Pumas (Future Cat) super nice....super expensive, kind of hard to find

people expect different things out of their shoes, some people use them as consumables so they just want something cheap and easily replaceable. Me, i want them to be comfortable as I am nervously pacing around before gridding and nice and skinny so my biggish feet don't bang around on the pedals while I trying to hump my dinosaur around the track, I try to find the nicest stuff that I can on close-out and keep it as long as they last.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

Quote Originally Posted by georgethefierce View Post
    people expect different things out of their shoes, some people use them as consumables so they just want something cheap and easily replaceable. Me, i want them to be comfortable as I am nervously pacing around before gridding and nice and skinny so my biggish feet don't bang around on the pedals while I trying to hump my dinosaur around the track, I try to find the nicest stuff that I can on close-out and keep it as long as they last.
    That's kinda my situation as well. while my feet are normal sized, my dance behind the wheel is more of a drunken high schooler than a well-choreographed tango. Thus, large wide soles have proven via trial & error (mostly error) to be a bad thing.

And while I admit I'm a cheapskate, I would rather spend more money once than spend a little money lots of times. (thus my asking for recommendations vs. buying close-out stuff and hoping it's good enough!)
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

another suggestion, depending on how cheap you really are....

SCCA does not mandate SFI rated shoes, most of the super high end shoe makers manufacture the same shoe in an SFI rated and non SFI for use in karts...as long as the shoes are leather and not plastic they are legal for use....myself, I'm not real comfortable with that so mine are fire proof but there is nothing in the GCR that says they have to be.

Wingtips, then.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Wingtips, then.
    Surprisingly enough, they'd be legal as long as you're wearing your fire proof socks

Shoes, with uppers of leather and/or nonflammable materialthat at a minimum cover the instep. Ventilation pinholes by the
    manufacturer are allowed.

I'm a cheapskate, but I'll be willing to pay an extra few bucks to make sure my little piggies don't catch fire..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Those Racequip look a lot like the G Force, and are definitely the right price.. let me know how they work out.

What's under my tree is a $100 bill and a picture of shoes because I don't know which ones I want. Go mom!
    I like the look of the shoes, but the size 10 toe box is to tight for my size 10D feet. We'll see how an 11 fits.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)