Thread: Master Switch Location

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I installed a latching main cut off switch with multiple on/off buttons in my recently completed & log booked STL Civic. One on/off button for the driver and one on each side of the car for corner workers. It is wired very similar to a standard cut off switch with regard to what happens if one end of it shorts out in a crash. A further advantage to these is that they can be mounted right next to the battery so the wire from the battery to the switch is very short which minimizes the chance that the cable will get cut & short out in a crash. I wasn't sure if this would l pass tech. I had the tech guy with the toughest reputation here in SEDiv issue the log book and he commented that he really liked this setup.

Edit: I think I know what you mean about the hot wire of the button circuit shorting out. I suppose it could happen.

Edited Edit: I want the driver AND the corner workers to have access to a master kill switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Only problem I have with those is that, technically, they may not be compliant to the GCR, which states "shall cut all electrical circuits but not an on-board fire system" (my emphasis). As I understand it, the latching circuit on those is always hot. Thus, you must ensure the latching-relay circuit is properly fused at the battery. Without that, in a crash if one of those wires is grounded it could cause sparks/fire and potentially not drop the master circuit. Can you post a circuit diagram of it?

Regardless, they're good systems if installed correctly, and I don't think anyone will give you any grief over it at all.
    Last edited by autoxmike; 12-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.