Thread: Master Switch Location

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Master Switch Location

I am at the point of installing the master switch in my car. I know there are a lot of posts about it on this forum, but I thought I would get folks most current views. I've read the GCR in regards to switch location, but I've also owned several cars that other people have built and they all had the Master Switch in different locations.

I can think of various advantages and disadvantages for each location, so I thought I'd see what everyone else's opinions are.

So, where do YOU think the Master switch should be located (hard topped coupe)? And why?

Rory

Someplace the corner workers can get to it easily, especially if you're upside down and unconscious. Or sideways up against a tire wall.

For obvious reasons.

Thanks again for the quick reply Greg. So, on the bottom of the car? Just kidding. My thought is just inside the window since that makes it easily accessible, unless that is the side wedged into the tire wall. Hmmmmm.

Where do you put yours Greg?

Mine is just inside the passenger window, mounted to the A-pillar front cage leg. I'm pretty screwed if I end up on my right side against a wall...

Yup. There doesn't seem to be PERFECT location. The passenger side window also means you can't turn it on after you are all strapped in and realize the car won't start because it is off. The driver's side window, however, potentially blocks egress. One in each location in series would solve most of the problems, but adds another failure point.

Oh well.

Any other thoughts?

Lots of SM guys and my RX7 has it mounted on the right side of the main hoop just inside the window.

A Miata is small enough that most people can reach it in that location while belted in.

I can't reach it in my RX while belted in, but it's easy to see and access by corner workers-- assuming you're not on your side against a tire wall. I plan to relocate mine to a more easily reachable location- maybe just farther inside the cage- because this car is wired such that gauges and some 'other stuff' are active as soon as the switch is turned on. Maybe I should just fix that part.. lots of little things on this new car that I'd do differently.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Put it here:

Stephen - mind posting what you guys did on the RX-8s? Thought that was excellent!!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Don't they use a solenoid-actuated kill switch? I think those are latching solenoids with a shunt-to-ground so you can mount multiple drop switches for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Don't they use a solenoid-actuated kill switch? I think those are latching solenoids with a shunt-to-ground so you can mount multiple drop switches for them.
    Yes, that is what we used... Multiple switches, one inside the car for the driver and one outside for corner workers/crew. Not necessarily loved by workers because it is not "commonly" recognized (or traditional) but it is clearly marked with the traditional "off" sticker.

Strphen can you post pics/product info?
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Only problem I have with those is that, technically, they may not be compliant to the GCR, which states "shall cut all electrical circuits but not an on-board fire system" (my emphasis). As I understand it, the latching circuit on those is always hot. Thus, you must ensure the latching-relay circuit is properly fused at the battery. Without that, in a crash if one of those wires is grounded it could cause sparks/fire and potentially not drop the master circuit. Can you post a circuit diagram of it?

Regardless, they're good systems if installed correctly, and I don't think anyone will give you any grief over it at all.

I will get a picture and post up a link to the solenoid if I get home before dark tonight. I like it because it uses a very low amp momentary switch that can be remotely located in series, so you can have as many as you want without huge wires running all over the place. The actual solenoid goes near battery. The traditional switches have always worried me because the bigger the wire the hotter it is when it grounds out... if it does.

I mounted momentary switch on the outside on drivers side since corner workers usually go to assist driver first thing and most likely will be in the drivers side if the car if they can be. The one in the inside of the car is on the center dash reachable by drive out corner worker that may reach in from passenger side in the event I am unconscious and the drivers side of the car is not reachable.

Stephen