Thread: Getting Rid of Regional/Majors Distinction?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The second biggest reason is the desire to build there car to there taste and NASA fits that better.
    This is Chris from CT, right? Think so but am not positive. Assuming so, the desire to go to NASA in the N.E. is an interesting one. It sounds as if they like having a "race car", probably one they can drive to the track, drive on road courses, hang out with friends, and have the feeling that they are "racing". In reality, it's basically a HPDE (NASA N.E. has focused on on their HPDE program versus racing which makes dollars sense.)

I've spoken with my fair share of people looking at entering the sport and I can't disagree with their perspective. Many look at the sport and while I and others are more than willing to provide them guidance, it's still a big commitment. While several of us have driven our cars to the track, it kind of sucks. So now it becomes a matter of buying a race car. But which one? How do I know if it's decent? And there are so many classes. The cars? Most are so old. Those RX7s? Really? A '87 Honda Prelude? HA! (What I raced and damn, it was old.) Gulp! Then I need to buy a trailer. Oh, and a tow vehicle which are not cheap. Where do I put all of this stuff? I need more tools to work on it too, right? My wife is going to kill me!

Or I can use my daily driver and go out on the track and tell all of my buddies about my "racing" AND still have fun. Racing is often talked about being like a drug, but until people get that first taste they won' become addicted. It's overwhelming and people really have to want it. If SCCA starts having HPDE, Club Experience, whatever they want to market it as during race weekends, it brings clients to the dealers.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Why is Regional Racing the stepchild that eats with the dogs?
    1. Because Topeka doesnÂ’t make $ on Regionals. It makes money on the Runoffs and the qualifying races it does.
    2. Because until about 30-40 years ago, Regionals were the ugly stepchild. You did your schools to get a Regional license. You did Regionals to get your National license. You did Nationals because, RogerÂ’s going to see me and give me a ride in his Can-Am car! Topeka still thinks the Runoffs could be a big deal. TheyÂ’re wrong.
    3. We needed nationals to award tow $. I believe the tow fund is gone or so drastically reduced that nobody cares. Could be wrong on that.

There is no reason why we couldnÂ’t have RACES. You FINISH 4/6/8/10 races during the year, you qualify for the Runoffs. We can even specify that you need to do it at 3 different tracks.

Get to the Runoffs and enforce a 115% rule. Oversubscribed classes get a last-chance race. Done.

yeah, I know. WeÂ’ve never had last-chance races and people wonÂ’t show up if they know they are in an oversubscribed class. WeÂ’ve NEVER tried that and it NEVER will work.