Said another way:

Back when I first attended the Runoffs at Road Atlanta in 1971, there were 22 classes that ran in 21 races (7 races Friday thru Sunday, A & B Prod ran together). There were 8 Prod classes (A-H), 4 Sedan classes (A-D), 4 Sports Racer classes (A-D), and 6 formula classes (A-C, F, V, SV). Even then a number of people complained that "SCCA has too many classes - the racing is too diluted and it's difficult for the public to understand!" yet all efforts to reduce the number of classes over the years has failed. The latest proposal is to have the CRB come up with a ten-year plan to reduce the Runoffs to 14-16 classes, and it's being met with the expected protest by those invested in the current class structure. I'm certainly not resistant to change, but I've yet to hear (from the BoD) a compelling argument WHY we need to reduce the number of classes.

Over that same period of time, there has been Regional and National (now Majors) racing. The idea is people get started and learn their craft at less intense weekends, then if they want they can move/transition/migrate (note I'm not using the word "advance") to a more intense level of competition. BTW, the Solo program works the same way - lots of local regional programs, then those that want to can travel to a limited number of National Tours and a winner-take-all National Championship event.

Even though it's worked well for over fifty years, more than one of you wants to eliminate that distinction in the Club Racing program. Why?