Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
It's a nice post...but it's filled with wrong-wronginess. Tom, you need to come visit the track again.

- the "National Races" were something that the Regional drive aspired to...

Maybe you did, brother, but I didn't and a lot of others didn't. I raced IT because I liked IT. You've fallen prey to that old "national drivers are better" mindset (or maybe you're part of the old guard that created/perpetuated it?) None of us decided to race Improved Touring - or any regional-only class - with the "goal" of going to the Runoffs. Regional classes have never been "starter" classes, except for those that decided that was their path.

- the ability to run well regionally and show you had the skill to compete...

Um, no. The only "ability" you needed to get a National license was to finish three Regional races and $50. It had nothing to do with skills, ability, or ultimate goals. Hell, once you had a National, that and ~$100 got you an SCCA Pro license, and that and another $200 got me an IMSA Pro license; did that automatically increase my skills level?

- Back in the 70's -- 80's and perhaps the mid 90's running the Nationals implied that you were well skilled and willing to put out your best effort...

Um, no. Again, "projection". Old Guard s**t.

- it was just a matter of showing up to an event and you got to go to the Runoff's...the only real achievement became a title win.

I'll agree with part of that: with the exception of the top three classes (SM, FV, and SRF) today all you need is a pulse and a checkbook to qualify for the Runoffs. But even back then when it was much more difficult, you think most sat on their laurels and called that invitation a "win"? Hell no. Qualifying was the first step, and we all went there to compete for the title win. Just because it's easier to get in doesn't mean the achievement of competing and winning means less.

- even the Runoff's doesn't generate that much interest (sort of like the regional races, the only spectators are the entrants and their family & friends).

Dude, you seriously need to get to a recent Runoffs. I don't know about the 90s, but the last several years at Road America, and this year At Laguna Seca, had a s**t-ton of spectators. Place was packed.

- no desire to aspire to a National license.

Need to keep up, grampa. there's no longer Regional and National licenses, only a "competition license".

- you get much more track time then 20 minutes at a regional...

Again, come visit an NER event. You're really missing out if you think that's all they are. Seriously, come visit.

So...how would removing the Regional/National (classes) distinction affect this in any way?

GA
Greg

Funny thing is that I still attend the races, in the spring I instruct at the drivers school in South Jersey, and get a feel for what the newbees are looking to get out of club racing. Additionally I attend a number of the NE regionals because I support the drivers who use my motors, gearbox builds, and suspension parts (all stuff that I make, not resell). So I know first hand what the series has become. A lot of the races are poorly subscribed, and I can't recall how many "Miata" races I watched that had noting but freight trains. I encourage my guys to push harder, experiment with lines and breaking points etc.

All of that knowledge came from getting my ass wiped when I started to race against "National" drivers, if you recall when we ran the Runoff's in Atlanta in SSA (where I believe I left you in the dust) the races were fierce, and the drivers were pulling moves that were not only impressive, but getting them places up the grid.

The point is that going to the track to just run laps and have a gay old time is fine if that is what you want to do, but when somebody really tries to push themselves, or focuses on trying to learn why he just got blown off by some old timer he will become a better faster driver. That is what made club racing exciting and spectators come to lots of events.

Sitting on the hill at Lime Rock, and watch 25 identical cars lap the track in 6 car trains only to wait for a last lap shot is not exciting to watch or seeing a race that has 10 cars in it and there are 5 car classes will not keep new drivers or spectators interest for a long time