Thread: Getting Rid of Regional/Majors Distinction?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Roger. So...why are the regions being restricted from adding Regional classes? Doesn't sound like they are "entirely responsible for running the event."

Me, I don't care, as long as it doesn't add a significant speed variation to my group and doesn't cut into my track time. Or if it does, better damn well drop the entry fees significantly from ~$650.

GA
    As Terry said, in 2013 & 2014 the weekend schedule was a joint decision between the host region and the Director of Club Racing (me). Both parties had "veto power" over what was offered, but the BoD also established requirements for what could be included (which I was tasked with enforcing). In most cases we were able to work out an agreement with no loss of lives, and I expect 2015 will be similar (except I'm obviously no longer part of the process).

SFR did not host a Majors event in 2013 because they wanted to include their regional-only classes in the same run groups with Majors cars (thus increasing clutter) and that was not allowed per the "no more Rationals" guidelines I was given. I also caught crap for allowing Atlanta Region to run a Pro-IT qualifier and race as part of their 2013 Majors weekend even though it did not impact the track time offered to the Majors drivers. Selected BoD members (Kephart and Langlotz) also started giving me shit about allowing PDX sessions at a Majors weekend until I explained the nuances of county-mandated Quiet Time at Road Atlanta.

And the only Majors event with a $650 entry fee was CoTA in 2013. WGI was $625 in 2014 and all the others have been under $600. With a few exceptions (mainly the West Coast in 2014 because of renewed interest due to the Runoffs) three-day Majors are in the $550-$575 range while the two-day events have been $450-$495. As before, I expect those will remain similar in 2015.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

OUBOB, I get 1000$ plus fuel and tires for 2 days.600 more for each day. So figure that many are spending about 3K per race as rentals or a little less as owners. maybe 2K .
    I have 3HP cars , 2 of which are top 3 cars at most tracks.
    The issue that I and my my well funded drivers have, is that the majors have qualifying on Fri. The majors appears to be aimed at retired rich guys and fly in A&D.
    The real world guys with jobs just dont fit.
    I have set up our runoffs qualifying around the regionals/Division with some room to run the later Majors.
    The national drivers, (old guys mostly ) really believe that the regional drivers are less worthy. As they race in their divisions at Majors , they do see the same 5 drivers and know what to expect of each other , so the concept is not invalid.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

is that the majors have qualifying on Fri.
    Vacation time. I love events where I don't need to take a day off, but nothing that I don't account for when planning a race schedule. Now the craziness schedule of the Runoffs? Nope.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    they do see the same 5 drivers and know what to expect of each other .
    Is it that many?

Seriously though, what is the average participation of a majors class race with, and without, SM & SRF factored in?

Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Two things to note: The last two events listed are Festivals, so there were 25 Majors weekends in 2014. Also there were four conferences, but all the "Eastern" numbers are obviously reported under the "Southeast" column. Other than that, crunch numbers to your heart's delight...

On Edit: I believe the numbers presented here come from the results files submitted by the regions, and in some cases those included no-shows. Out of curiosity I compared them to the number I kept based on what I invoiced each region, and they're reasonably close. From my numbers, excluding festivals, for comparison:

. 2013 - 3384 total entries over 19 events, or 178.08 entries/weekend
    . 2014 - 4544 total entries over 25 events, or 181.76 entries/weekend

And in 2014 there was no Majors event at CoTA, which accounted for 468 of that year's entries.
    Last edited by Butch Kummer; 12-15-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Curiosity...
    Butch Kummer

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    And some knowledge, which I severely lack.

If I were going to evaluate say the SE/Eastern division, I need to know what tracks are counted in that area. My guess would be six: VIR, PBIR, Sebring, RA, Barber, and Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    . 2013 - 3384 total entries over 19 events, or 178.08 entries/weekend
    . 2014 - 4544 total entries over 25 events, or 181.76 entries/weekend

So in a simplified sense for say 2013 we'd have 178 entries per weekend, and 27 classes (!!!), or 6.6 cars per class if they were evenly distributed. Of course we know the classes are not populated evenly since SRF and SM are 30% of the entries for 2014, thus likely about the same percentage for 2013.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-15-2014 at 03:59 PM.

I'll admit I lived on the Majors website for two years, but it has pretty much everything you want to know about the program. Specific to this question:

http://www.scca.com/events/news.cfm?eid=6551&cid=51604

Barber was a Festival and not and Eastern Conference event. Those seven were Sebring, PBIR, Road Atlanta, VIR, NJMP, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point.
    Butch Kummer

Where is the Majors website? Went to the SCCA site and can't figure it out. Or is that section of the SCCA website considered the Majors website?

THIS is one of SCCA's big issues (not saying the majors website specifically).
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Specific to your edit, Ron, there were 28 classes in 2013 (CSR, DSR, and S2 were combined into P1 & P2 for 2014). So if you figure SM & SRF account for 30% of the entries the number per "other" class was actually about 4.45 per event.
    Butch Kummer