Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
I have a little different perspective on why SCCA does not draw many new racers. As a builder I talk to 40+ newbs a year and the usual reason why not the SCCA is contact. They hear about the crashfest that both IT and SM is. Thats what they tell me, not the other way around. And want nothing to do with it. The second biggest reason is the desire to build there car to there taste and NASA fits that better. Just add weight.
Chris
I hope you are setting them straight as to the 'crashfest' comments... There will be contact in racing when the battling involves many cars (often in the same class), large fields and tight competition. Rubbin is NOT racing, but it can and does happen from time to time. (the reality of wheel to wheel racing). Can't argue with wanting to build something to a personal taste. As long as they understand that racing like that means the person who actually reads the rules and has $$ wins almost every time. The benefit of structured rules (with history) actually works (for most cars).

My little group of racing friends has grown by 5-6 in the past 2ish years and only lost one in the past several years. Plenty of new racers around me. Just personal experience - but things are not as bad as some make it out to be...