Thread: Question for Greg Amy

Default Question for Greg Amy

Greg,

I just happened to stumble upon the STL in car video from the 2013 Runoffs. It appears that you do not heel and toe or rev match on the downshifts? Is this true?

I've heard it told that it is not necessary in a FWD car and the gains from max, smooth braking are most important. I've even used the technique to good effect but thought I'd get your opinion/technique.

Thanks.

Rory

PS Nice, patient, intelligent drive!

I don't heal toe on down shifts either. I feel I can brake much better and deeper then I can when I heel toe.
    Blake Meredith

Thanks Blake. That's been my experience too. I think it might have been Tom Fowler who first suggested it to me.

So do y'all just release the clutch or do you slip it?

thanks again.

It is true! Greg Amy does not heel/toe downshift. Never has...
    Jeremy Billiel

Correct, never learned to. I've always driven Showroom Stock/Improved Touring/Firehawk-type cars and just never learned the technique. Everything I've ever driven has been a syncro box. To manage engagement of the clutch, minimize shock on the drivetrain, and manage the forward weight transfer I tend to slip the clutch as needed (which I had to do a lot of at Summit Point last weekend through the chute...) but it's not a massive slip that's damaging to the clutch; ironically, my clutches tend to last a very long time.

Never learned to left foot brake, either.

Only time I found heal and toe to be very useful was in a Spec Miata. Really needed it for that to keep the car from swapping ends.

Thanks Greg. And everyone else.

I never learned how to do it for the ~10 years I drove FWD IT cars, mostly all with OEM clutches, as there was never a need to. Once I went to an un-sprung dual-disc kit on my FP car, I then had to modify the pedals and learn how to match, as it could get pretty violent without it. But even now when I get back into an IT car, I pretty quickly revert back to not doing it.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Exactly what Greg said. I drove a FWD ITB car for years, could do heal-toe just fine (always did it on my street car cause I thought it was going to be necessary), but never found a gain by doing it. Instead, I found that one time I'm under pressure, it's one more element that I could potentially f-up.

My ITA Miata... What Greg said again. Tried without...Ugh.

It's not a bad thing to learn how to do on your street car. I'm all for learning different tools you might someday want to try.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Heh.. dang.. buncha softies. I heel toe just about every downshift. if I don't, I can end up locking the rear end and going into the corner backwards. One of the 'perks' of being RWD I guess...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I do it all the time (street and race), which is extra challenging given the lack of mobility in my right ankle. However, I've tried doing it in big trucks with air brakes and the results were less than spectacular.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    I've tried doing it in big trucks with air brakes and the results were less than spectacular.
    That depends on which side of the camera you're on...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7