Thread: Fire system/bottle install

Default Fire system/bottle install

For those with fire systems, how/where do you have your bottle installed. In my brothers RX8 the bottle is attached to the cage in the passenger side. Specificaly on a horizontal cross bar that runs along the rear floor where the front of the rear seat cushion would mount. My car does not have this bar. The only cage option with keeping it near the floor is vertical on the b pillar or at a ~45 degree angle on the bar going to the rear the one running across to the drivers side. I cannot mount it on the unibody where my brothers cage/cross bar is because my cage gets in the way.The floor seems like a good option but when mounted sideways (recommended direction) it takes up the entire space from rocker to the transmission tunnel, not sure if that is safe in a side impact... Thoughts?Last question, if you mount it to the cage what mount do you use and where did you get it?Thanks for the help;Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Hand-held or system?

I had thought a system requires a horizontal bottle mounting (per instructions?) so it functions correctly.

If a handheld, check out the roll bar style mounts for a brey-Krause. Pretty neat--and the actual mounts are available elsewhere--I just do not know their generic name.

I prefer to have either one within reach of the driver's seat. There have been a few times when I get to grid for the first time on a race weekend and wonder "did I pull the travel pin on the fire system or not?" Also, I prefer to mount it low and to the trans tunnel vs. higher to the cage.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by itracer View Post
    I prefer to have either one within reach of the driver's seat. There have been a few times when I get to grid for the first time on a race weekend and wonder "did I pull the travel pin on the fire system or not?" Also, I prefer to mount it low and to the trans tunnel vs. higher to the cage.
    Yup.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Both my car and my wife's miata have the bottle in the trunk:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...042c50064e0109
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Mine is mounted where the rear passenger seat would be in my 240SX. I welded some angle iron to the floorpan and then mounted the bottle to that.

http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/roll_c...-09-08_557.jpg
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7