Thread: Driver Cooling Systems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I currently run a cool shirt (ice water/tubes/etc). I have tried a phase change cooling vest similar to your link and found it to be minimally helpful. I used to run a helmet blower with ambient air (no cooler), and also found that to be minimally helpful. The ice water cool shirt is an order of magnitude better than either of the others. Some race weekends it literally makes the difference whether I can/will go on track or not.

You can save some money by building your own cooler if you're reasonably handy and have the time. There should be at least one build thread on this forum, and several others on the interweb. That might also give you more options for fitting it in your car.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

The driver cooling system is free so to speak and can be installed anywhere. Lots of people put them in the back to put the weight there.

I built my own cooler system as well. Used an old coleman cooler with a small bilge type boat pump that I picked up for $15 at Walmart. You can get the fittings for the lines from places like McMaster. Do some searching online and you'll find several links to DIY builds. I'm using a Coolshirt and beware that the different shirts had different connectors. So know what connect the shirt you use needs.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region