Thread: What is a "touring car?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

...or by talking with people in the race, getting their opinions, etc.

As far as the miata goes.. I tend to agree a lot with what Andy said and I was at Watkins Glen. Brian Shanfield is a very good driver, (as good as the best SM guys I race with routinely IMO) former NASA champion. His car is good, but not fully developed either, just swapped cams to meet the rule. We have raced VERY close all year. I don't think either of us have been stickering up each race. Brians car falls off after 1/2 the race or so. But in the first half of every race, we are as even as you can possibly make a miata and a FWD car. At Watkins, if I was not in his draft we were dead even up the esses. I had to make sure I was in his draft to be able to make any ground. Previously I thought the club hit the car a little too hard on the restrictor plate. After watkins I feel the honda easily makes back that 4-5 hp and probably a little more. That is a luxury no Miata driver will ever have in STL, You need to build the car to the edge( or over) reliability to get close on power to the Hondas. I would love an option of a Mazda engine that I could run stock and win with. It doesn't exist.
    Still not good enough. Fine.

We can resume the debate when we actually have something to debate. Remember, it's not my topic and not my stones. It's concepts brought up in the OP and also by you that we are far from parity right now. (edit to specify that I realize these are two separate subjects. SC vs TC and weight diff between FWD and RWD)

Let's lay out the issues, the causes, the supporting facts, and then the solutions.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 09-02-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Izit the silly season already?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!