Thread: What is a "touring car?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The way things are headed right now, absent any intervention, the future is STL populated with modded Miatas. Why would anyone build anything else at this point?
    Yes, I see this as a problem. The Miata and the K20 and , well nothing else makes any sense to consider for STL.

In STU, something close to a dealer-showroom Lotus will beat up on a purpose-built AWD turbo sedan, or exotic multivalve "real" touring car. And it's not an economical solution, either.

K
    Disagree, my car and Irish Mike's car can bring the fight to the Lotus, if driven perfectly and built to the limit of the rules. The Lotus is easy to regulate though pulley size. I don't have an issue with the Lotus in there at all. I dO have an issue being stuck in a run group with a gazillion Miatae and B-Spec cars. What's Heinricy and Lipperini hitting on the back straight at WGI? 110 in a draft with a tailwind? You put three Miatae together and awareness of the world around them evaporates to only their own little microcosm.

STU is not economical. Aftermarket ECU's, sequentials, relocated suspension pickup points, unlimited shocks. That's easily $60K for those items alone, and you still need the rest of the car to hang those bits off of.

STU is so expensive it will never be a big class. The only way to really get it bigger is slash the cost to compete (eliminate modified/alternate gearboxes and dry sumps and relocated pickup points) - which is effectively STL. There's a gazillion E36 and E46 BMWs that should be running in STU. Where are they? Nasa GTS I'm afraid.
    Last edited by JS154; 07-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.