Thread: What is a "touring car?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    PS - what's your name?
    Dave Mead, currently a member of the STAC and my personal stalker.

GA

Again, sportcars have more rear weight.

I watched some STL vid of Sebring. Might have been GA in Teggy or honda maybe chasing a Miata. The Honda had more power but was very slow entry - exit speeds. IE at T 4-5 the Honda touched the brake while I know that a Miata just flicks left. Same @ T1, Miata, just lifts and turns left @ 99MPH/4th gear, and the Honda maybe even down geared.
    Had they swapped cars and got rid of the Honda push, the Honda would maybe be faster.

On another note, ask Drago how much 50#slows his car!! .6-.8 per lap at Ssebring in a Miata.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Again, sportcars have more rear weight.

On another note, ask Drago how much 50#slows his car!! .6-.8 per lap at Ssebring in a Miata.
    I did not want to stoke that fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Dave Mead, currently a member of the STAC and my personal stalker.

GA
    Greg, I meant to mention, the whole rainbow thing is passe'. Be proud and wear regular guy clothes when out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by dhrmx5 View Post
    Greg, I meant to mention, the whole rainbow thing is passe'. Be proud and wear regular guy clothes when out and about.
    You broke my heart, man...you broke my heart.

wow. Dang thing got real

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    You broke my heart, man...you broke my heart.
    That's ok because I'll buy you a Beer over Authentic Mexican food in Monterey.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    That's ok because I'll buy you a Beer over Authentic Mexican food in Monterey.
    Sweeeeeet!

I too agree with Andy.

I think it is entirely unfair to say the ITAC wasn't doing a good job during that time period. We routinely spent 4-5 hours on the calls, talking into the wee hours of the night, to come up with the (at the time) ONLY objective, repeatable and written down system for classing cars in the SCCA. That was a sea change of epic proporitions.

There were miscommunications between the CRB and the ITAC, but I tihnk everyone -- Bob Dowie, Andy, everyone -- was trying hard to do the right thing. THe problem was that we were really doing something revolutionary, and the basis for it (stock horsepower) was causing the CRB a lot of heartburn (as it should).

But not doing a good job? No, that is simply wrong.

The ITAC has, or at least had, one of the toughtest jobs in the SCCA. We have the most popular multi marque class that actually is multi marque, and we had to come up with an objective process to set car weights that covered something like 300 chassis stretching from 1968 until 2008.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Drago said something I also posted some time ago--the RX8 doesn't seem an overdog, the Runoffs winning car was simply very well prepared and driven. My T4 RX8 has run times similar to decent STL cars like Walke's RX7, but is seconds behind top STL builds. Walke's car and an ITS Miata running STL were quite a bit faster than the RX8 down the Road America straights, I made up time in the corners (more tire). Admittedly my T4 RX8 is a bit heavier and less prepared than an STL version, but the straight line speeds will not be much different. If I took out the weight to run STL I would then reduce the tire so overall the car would not be much faster; under the current rules I would also have to run the plate which slows the car even more making it uncompetitive. The plate seems like an over-reaction to the Runoffs; do any of you on the CRB/STAC have an opinion on chances of removing the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

The ITAC has, or at least had, one of the toughtest jobs in the SCCA. We have the most popular multi marque class that actually is multi marque, and we had to come up with an objective process to set car weights that covered something like 300 chassis stretching from 1968 until 2008.
    ST has taken that job over, considering ST allows engine swaps, turbo charged and supercharged cars and allows different levels of engine and drivetrain modifications.

Nedless to say, it's not easy, and the lack of strong full-build true ST cars running regularly against each other - and the resultant lack of head to head competition and onboard data - is not helping.

THAT said, can we move the ITAC issue from 5 years ago or whatever to a different thread and keep this one on ST "DEFINITION OF A TOURING CAR"