Thread: What is a "touring car?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    - We put data acq boxes in many front-running cars during the Majors season and at the Runoffs;
    - Experienced observations;
    - Race results.

GA
    This is my opinion as a Miata driver in STL, not a CRB member.

1)data boxes...
    Have you seen this data? How do you distinguish cornering advantage from "because miata" versus "better Driver"?

2)Experienced Observations.. Often very biased.. Especially when coming from those who race in the class, even with the best intentions, it is human nature. In the past, 2011 and 2012 my observations were directly responsible in adding weight to my miata as I felt it was the right thing to do. This year, I mentioned to you and others on STAC that I felt the plate was a bit too small on the civic, to my knowledge,nothing was done with that info? What I have seen in 2013 is two similar quality FWD Honda drivers run similar cornering speeds to mine, similar lap times to mine and some good races. I have seen Integras with significant straight line speed advantage but seconds off the pace in terms of lap time. Still confused why it is OK for FWD Civics to run "miata" STL times and no one complains, but when the same times are run by 'miatas", most say "because Miata.

3)Race results..
    If the best driver is a properly classed car wins every race? Is there a problem? If a car at a slight disadvantage is driven
    by a pro wins every race, do we handicap the car? Or we put a wanker in a car that everyone else would win in, but he
    doesnt, do we speed that car up? Race results are rewards weights, nothing more.

IMO it has gotten to the point where many feel that all good results are 95% "because miata", which is just ridiculous. I have a spare SM, prepared identical to mine. Greg and Kirk are welcome to come and race it in SM no charge at any race I attend, just let me know a few weeks out and I will have the car set up and scaled to your weight and liking. We can do a test day, a race weekend, whatever you like. The ARRC may be a good weekend? That will tell you where you really are in terms of pace. With all due respect, the over/under will be 3 seconds from pole. You guys are simply putting way too much on car and I am willing to prove my point. When you are seconds off the pace, it is more than 'frontal area", "Sports car' and "double wish bone'.

Huffmaster is one of the best drivers in the SCCA. His RX8 WAS NOT at an advantage IMO. It was driven exceptionally well and the car was very well sorted. The RX8 was the best prepped car in the Runoffs the last two years and the best driven this year, period. I have not once complained about that car. I did not win because I did not put enough time and effort into my car, it had nothing to do with the RX8 being an over dog. Gilsinger could have also won last year had he entered in an equally prepared civic. They showed up with a SS car that they basically de cammed.

Jim
    Last edited by jdrago1; 09-17-2014 at 05:43 PM.