Thread: What is a "touring car?"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Dude, default weight for 2.0L is 2700#. Adders/subtractors from there...read the rulez, newb!!
    RIF fail. 2L RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Before Ron replies - yes, it's a problem that the power/weight math tries to accommodate tweaked B-Spec cars.

K
    I wasn't gonna say anything...honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    for Ron:
    2.0L STL weights
    RWD w/ F Struts: 2795
    Thanks, I was just asking it see if I could build something in my wheelhouse that would be competitive in the class. Sort of doubt it.

We race the ITS Mustangs at 27XX-2800 lbs now. We have 185 rwhp, but, we get it from 3.8L so we have a lot of area under the horsepower curve when compared to say a 1.8L Honda of the same power. For STL and 2L displacement RWD heavy car it'd be a different ball game:

*86ish light Ford Fox like a notch back or Merkur, probably could get that sans driver at around 2400 lbs or there abouts.
    *2L Ford/Mazda power plant at 11:1 compression
    *T5 tranny ; open ratios
    *Same basic suspension design we have now (could we convert to IRS in the rear, not sure I would).

With 2L at 11:1, 0.425 valve lift, and open cams I reckon it'd be possible to make 240hp at the crank with a lot of work, or around 210hp at the wheels. But we'd be racing at the same weight we are now, and the little 2L engine will have a pretty narrow power band to pull that off. Not sure it'd work out at that weight.

Be a fun project though.

Back to the regular program, which is good reading for me to understand this class.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 09-14-2014 at 01:01 PM.