Thread: alignment settings mk3?

Default alignment settings mk3?

does anyone have camber for front/rear and toe settings for the mk3 golf/gti (97 to be specific)? 1st time on the alignment rack and the numbers look very strange. looking for the vw guru's to lend some guidance. I didn't build the car but it is very fast as is. My alignment guy is questioning the current settings and thus here i am. Thanks.

I thought that you had my book. Maybe not.
    Typical rear settings, f or right turn road racing. LR, toe out 3-5mm. camber -1-3 (not important) as long as you have some camber.
    RR zero toe or evena little in , same camber .
    for total rear toe out of 3-5mm. 3 seems optimal for low scrub drag with -2 camber . That means that the camber thrust is reduced by having some toe out.

These setting wil yeild good results with the right springs and bars. Low enough spring rate to run high pressures so that the car rolls faster. If you have to run low 30# air pressure to keep the tail in line you are giving away straight speed.
    PS if the rear axle beam bushings are cut awa,y the person that built the car has my book, and the car has some rear steer.

Front settings are about -3 turn side and maybe -2 inside . or even camber at -3. 3MM toe out
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 06-24-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

theres a book? guess ill have to dive into this more and se what springs, bars, etc are actually in the car. I never bothered as the car handles well and is very fast.

also prob does have the mods as if i lift in a corner it tries to come around like my porsche but if you stand back on it it pulls away and puts itself back in line.

If the car is that fast, measure it well and write it down.Learn to drive it as it is.
    Dont mess with success. Unlike the baseball coach that takes the kid hitting 440 and ¨helps¨ him.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

so took your recommendations as the car had positive camber in the front and was off in the rear as well. now we are sitting with -2.2/-2.5 LF/RF for camber with -2.2/-2.3 for toe in front. for the rear we are at -1.9/-3.1 LR/RR and 4.5/5.8 toe. I will need to reshim the rearm assuming (this is all new to me as i usually do the motor and drive and leave the chassis to someone else - but I'm going to have to do it sooner or later). Saw these ez shims (a round disc you cut parts out of) that oriely sells. Unless you scream deathtrap with these setting, ill be running at savannah this weekend as is and the try and fix them for road atlanta next month. is there a "better" shim setup ands do they control each (camber & toe) separately or onlyy together?

Moog # K977 for shims. carquest can get them.
    Toe out both ends a little.