Thread: Anyone look at the results from Sprints 2014???

Default Anyone look at the results from Sprints 2014???

Just checking the current national points standings in STU and I noticed a particular car that looks kind'a out of place. Anyone attend the sprints this year notice a STU car unlike any others in the class?

Sunday results: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...unRace-GP7.pdf
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 06-23-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

MGB!!!

That's pretty funny, given the cars have to be 1985 and later...

Exactly!

I had to look it up, the MGB ended production in 1980, but there was a version available in the UK/Japan in 1993-1995.

Just thinking out loud here, but is there any reason the car has to be available in the US in the final years of production? As an example what about the first gen Capri, it was produced until 1986 for the UK market, but imported into the US until 1977, when it was replace with a re-badged mustang. The wording seems less than clear that the model has to be available for sale USDM in 1985. Like it has to be USDM at some point and it has to be manufactured into 1985, but not necessarily has to be USDM in 1985.
    I'm sure there are other examples of manufacturers that exited the US market about 1980 but continued to make the chassis into 1985 or later as well.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, but is there any reason the car has to be available in the US in the final years of production?
    Familiarity, documentation, ability to scrutineer. If we did not have limits to things like that then someone could import some oddball from New Zealand and claim anything they want about how it was equipped.

If someone wants to race some weird combo car, just make a request and we'd consider it.

GA

is the car eligible in IT?

that was the guy who drove the E30 325 at the Runoffs.

MGB is in ITB but only from '68-'80, this one is a '63.

Uh, you should know this but e-30 chassis is '85-'91 so it is (no debate) ST legal. I remember reading the Road&Track where the e-30 was introduced, with the Big USDM aluminum bumper bar up front. I know you think your car's vintage, but when they still don't let the 1st gen Rx-7 run it's not.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

MGB is in ITB... but the ST rules only allow IT cars from after the 85MY cutoff... someone goofed on the results sheet or intentionally broke the rules to let the guy run. a quick googling says Mr Anastopoulos does seem to have a slew of old cars on his resume (2000 ITA Scirocco II 16V, 2008 in an FP opel manta, and more recently in an STU E30 325is) but this is the only mention I find of a 63 MGB. can anyone say if that was a typo?

I hate to say it, but it goes to show how much attention is paid to the June Sprints. I'm still a NKOTB, but I think the Sprints were important when the Runoffs were at Mid-O for so many years. Since then, unless you live local, why would you go there?