Thread: Craaaaaazy propositions!

Default Craaaaaazy propositions!

So I've been thinking about the Club Racing Experience a bunch and also the Really RAL race that are coming up at RAL and I had two ideas.

Number one, is it against the concept of the Club Racing Experience to trade cars? For example, Abhi drives my car and I drive his? That way we both get to have a new experience? Dick, would this be frowned upon? Not that I necessarily want to do it, just wondering if anyone else had considered it.

Deux....I'm fairly certain that I can raise $500 for the Really RAL, but I don't want to drive my own car. Anyone interested in sharing a car if I "pay" the entry fee and split gas? The race is 30 minutes, so that'd be about 13-14 minutes seat time. I know we'd have to do a pit stop, which would definitely be entertaining (and allowed?), and surely keep us from winning, but it could be a lot of fun!

Just thinking out loud about the most entertaining weekend that NER puts on and trying to make it even better. Let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by team-gpracing; 07-16-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

the CRE is a fine time to try out something different, we do not ban licensed drivers, but it is designed to be a bit lower aggression level and lower risk, you can't go out there and drive like a Sheppard.

I have thought about taking a spec racer for a ride.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I figured as much, I just wanted to check. I didn't want this to turn into something that it wasn't intended as.

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    ....you can't go out there and drive like a Sheppard.
    Even if we strap a bunch of pillows to the front end?!
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

What kind of entries are we looking at? My wife has shown interest in the idea, but she has absolutely no track experience: no HPDE, no driver's school, no Survival Course, nothing. I know that she would not enjoy herself at all if there were a bunch of experienced licensed drivers out there driving fast...

So is this a test session for licensed drivers to play (I've thought about the SRF thing, too) or is this some place for completely inexperienced drivers to experience something new in a low pressure environment?

GA

Edit: Actually, she does have limited track experience in the right seat with me: we took the street NX2000 to Mosport a couple years ago. Obviously I didn't drive 9/10 and she seemed to loosen up a bit after a couple sessions. But she would not be comfy doing that herself within a group of experienced racers.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-16-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by team-gpracing View Post
    Deux....I'm fairly certain that I can raise $500 for the Really RAL, but I don't want to drive my own car. Anyone interested in sharing a car if I "pay" the entry fee and split gas? The race is 30 minutes, so that'd be about 13-14 minutes seat time. I know we'd have to do a pit stop, which would definitely be entertaining (and allowed?), and surely keep us from winning, but it could be a lot of fun!

Just thinking out loud about the most entertaining weekend that NER puts on and trying to make it even better. Let me know what you guys think.
    I think we should do something like the old Silver shoot-out that COM did when I was racing my match box cars in the dirt. I remember that being fun to watch and all the adults seemed to love it as much as the actual time trials they all did.

I also thought about doing something similer with a driver change in the middle... Me and my brother pit at the half way mark and then swap cars.... basically race eachother to the end but each sharing both cars

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    What kind of entries are we looking at? My wife has shown interest in the idea, but she has absolutely no track experience: no HPDE, no driver's school, no Survival Course, nothing. I know that she would not enjoy herself at all if there were a bunch of experienced licensed drivers out there driving fast...

So is this a test session for licensed drivers to play (I've thought about the SRF thing, too) or is this some place for completely inexperienced drivers to experience something new in a low pressure environment?

GA
    think of this like the first few sessions of a driver's school pr like a lechump race. there is likely going to be a range of people and those with more experience need to be respectful of those that don not

from national:
    TARGETED PARTICIPANTS
    This list is intended to offer enough options to get you started.
    2) Drivers that compete in other sanctioning body events, but have not tried SCCA
    3) Vintage drivers
    4) Non-SCCA licensed drivers that want to compete one or two times a year in a more controlled environment
    5) Current Solo, PDX and Club Trials drivers looking for the next step
    6) Novice drivers trying to gain more track time
    7) Opportunity for current drivers to reward support and crew members
    8) Experienced drivers trying a new car or considering a purchase (should gain permission from the Chief Steward of the event)
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

,you can't go out there and drive like a Sheppard.
    I think I was just shunnnnnnnnnnned!!!!!!!!!!!
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

think of this like the first few sessions of a driver's school pr like a lechump race. there is likely going to be a range of people and those with more experience need to be respectful of those that don not...from national
    Thanks, Dick. I'm thinking this might not be the right venue for someone with no track experience that has only a vague passing interest in what her husband does for fun. I'm thinking a better place may have been to put her in Travis' PDX last month...if she'd only expressed interest in it*...

GA

* For useful reference, her interest was piqued when she got a direct email from the region about the CRE...she asked me if that was something she could do...if we had only sent out a mailer to all members about the LRP PDX, she may have been in there for that...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    basically race eachother to the end but each sharing both cars
    Awesome idea. That would be great to see.

Still hoping someone is interested in sharing a ride.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Thanks, Dick. I'm thinking this might not be the right venue for someone with no track experience that has only a vague passing interest in what her husband does for fun. I'm thinking a better place may have been to put her in Travis' PDX last month...if she'd only expressed interest in it*...

GA
    unless she has done more than i understand i think a PDX/HPDE would be better. the only thing if she is going to use your car is to find one where novices do not need a right seat.

i do not think you have to have previous track time to enjoy the CRE but i would think some kind of performance driver even autocross would be helpful.

the chief instructor, Pete Morrison, is lining up a few on track instructors to do lead follow for new people.

by the way we are pulling an alternate school sanction as well for the CRE so anyone who might be close to getting qualified for a club racing license we can deal with that.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7