Thread: Is this a jumped start?

Default Is this a jumped start?

Watkins Glen July Sprints from this past weekend.

In Saturday's Group 2 qualifying race, I was black flagged for supposedly jumping the start. I was brought in for a stop and go. This effectively put me in last place in the qualifying race.

The camera car (which definitely jumped) is directly behind me. I am the black Miata in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXxJCGUOM48

I protested the black flag after the race. The stewards upheld the protest and I got my $25 back. Either way it meant that I was starting at the back of the grid in Sunday's race.

In my opinion, stewards should wait until after the race to review evidence and apply the appropriate penalty.

What do you guys think?

Abhi
    Abhi Ghatak
    1995 ITA Miata by Kessler Engineering
    2012 NERRC ITA Champion
    2013 NERRC ITA Champion

No chance you jumped and the camera car not only jumped but was eligible for a penalty just for popping out and failing to maintain the formation before the green...

Ian Prout once suckered me for a jump at WGI - i was so pissed - he nailed the brakes at the line and i was outside pole and passed - stop and go and still made it back for third :-) crafty move by prout. i did not protest even though he did not maintain speed. It was an experienced play.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

they got the wrong car... assuming the camera car didnt get a penalty at all...

Stephen

Don't obsess about it. The ruling may have been a bit harsh but not completely crazy. To the judge of the start, you pulled out of line a bit while the camera car pulled out an egregious amount. You appear to have been suckered to go a bit out of line.

Result? Both were black flagged

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Don't obsess about it. The ruling may have been a bit harsh but not completely crazy. To the judge of the start, you pulled out of line a bit while the camera car pulled out an egregious amount. You appear to have been suckered to go a bit out of line.

Result? Both were black flagged
    Both cars were black flagged

It was a lot of fun driving through the field and passing the ITA leaders for the win

Race video is here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLSholGq-s4

A big thank you to Dave Gran for talking me through the whole race on the radio

Abhi
    Abhi Ghatak
    1995 ITA Miata by Kessler Engineering
    2012 NERRC ITA Champion
    2013 NERRC ITA Champion

Dude, you won the race, what'er you bitchin' about??

Hard to tell when the flag dropped. Looked clean to me. The white Porsche should have been brought in too because of how far he was hanging back.........

Do you remember when Mickey went from 8 rows back to first when there was a wave off at LRP? They brought like 6 of us in after............ Yeah, I would have been bull shit if they black flagged us.

But great job for the win!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

While watching the start, I was thinking what the F was that car behind you doing??? Nice of him to provide video even though it made him look bad.

I think the protest and ruling was important. Not specifically for that race, but for future races. Unless obvious, save the penalty for after the race when they even say it was subjective.

Abhi did awesome! Funny, while watching him I felt the nerves kick in and kept thinking "go, go, go!!!!". I honestly never would have guessed being on that side of the radios would be so much fun. I did wonder if Abhi had turned off the radio as I'm like "you need to go faster through turn one" or "block that Fn ITS car who was holding you up!!"

crafty move
    Eh. That wouldn't go over so well with me. I think many of us race each other the way we're raced against. That would totally change how I raced against someone in the future and not in a positive way. Maybe just me...
    Last edited by gran racing; 07-23-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I honestly never would have guessed being on that side of the radios would be so much fun.
    "If you go to the outside, you can hold it...cause we have a really good set of matched tires on it! Those tires are matched perfect and staggered special...While we're still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2OcW_Hwkg
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-23-2014 at 09:13 AM.

No more than this is a jumped start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJU_TNRPgs

Ok I am ready for it, flame on boys.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dano77 View Post
    No more than this is a jumped start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJU_TNRPgs

Ok I am ready for it, flame on boys.......

the epitome of jumped starts!....I was going to post the same thing
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I particularly like how you (Danno) keep scaring that Prod car right out of the way!