Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Back to the Future" Thompson, July 2014

I have no plans to go to the Glen Regional, but I am at the Glen Majors the weekend before.

I suggest, however, my primary reason for considering volunteering instead of racing is that during the "soft opening" I developed serious reservations about how the track will "race". Starting from the back of our group, I found it extremely difficult, and highly frustrating, that the track had no flow and even with a significant horsepower advantage I could not get up to relative speed to stick a clean pass (a la Watkins Glen). Yet, the track itself is so stop-and-go that it does not provide consistency such that a momentum car could maintain speed and stay in front of a higher-horsepower car (a la Lime Rock).

There's only one place on the track where a higher-pony car could stick a clean pass, and all the slower car needs to do is move over one lane to stop it from happening. If someone in front wanted to keep you back there, they could do it with little effort.

I fear this will cause a lot of driver frustration, resulting in unreasonable desperation passes, with a lot of metal-to-metal.

Dick related to me that we said the same thing about NHMS, but in the end it all worked out. I don't know, I wasn't there then, but I personally never thought that when I first hit NHMS (not even with the chicane/chicane layout). I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded. But, I'll probably sit this one out and instead do paperwork, then maybe I'll come back later in the year and give it a shot.

Greg

Absolutely agree. The oval sections and the front straight. Other sections the driver would need to stuff it in there and the other driver be aware that it's happening and give way.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So where is everyone paddocking? Are there showers? Is the paddock area paved?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    So where is everyone paddocking? Are there showers? Is the paddock area paved?
    B paddock, No, Yes...bring an ez-up or 3...no shade.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

Quote Originally Posted by georgethefierce View Post
    B paddock, No, Yes...bring an ez-up or 3...no shade.
    That may have changed, Jason; my roomie this weekend was talking about staying in the same place as the "soft" weekend.

And as noted, no showers (yet), no shade (well, not much accessable to paddock under).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    That may have changed, Jason; my roomie this weekend was talking about staying in the same place as the "soft" weekend.

And as noted, no showers (yet), no shade (well, not much accessable to paddock under).
    I shall follow the pack with my cooler and ez-up.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

So we may not be using B paddock? Is that the one over the bridge?

More silly questions: Food on site? Anywhere close for food and gas?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    So we may not be using B paddock? Is that the one over the bridge?
    B Paddock will be available this time; it's the one down by the earth mound inside T10/11.

We will not be paddocking over the bridge; all of our stuff must be inside the bridge. Any overflow will go to inside the oval. However, the car count is manageable and that is not likely to happen.

Food on site? Anywhere close for food and gas?
    There's a food truck on site, and the food is actually pretty tasty and not too expensive. There's a retail area just one exit south with a Super Stop & Shop, gas, fast food, Advanced Auto Parts, etc.

GA

Just got an email that indicated we'll be tightly controlling vehicle access to the paddock. You'll get a paddock pass for your main tow vehicle, and all others will need to park over the bridge, in the area in front of the clubhouse. It's not a long walk, but there may be shuttle carts to drive you over into the paddock.

This should help with paddock congestion. Please do not force your street car into the paddock just to save a 200-yard walk...

Is 100 Octane fuel available?
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

There are pumps there, but I don't recall what they were dispensing. It was not 93 octane, because I recall having to drive out to get it.

They now have 93 as well.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

98 unleaded and 110 leaded was what they had at the soft opening. Soon to be self-serve as well!!!
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

And as I learned from experience, Northeast Racing Supply is just 15 min away, in RI, just in case you need any performance parts (like a mirror )
    They had quite a bit of stuff there, brands like Longacre, etc.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

...I found it extremely difficult, and highly frustrating, that the track had no flow and even with a significant horsepower advantage I could not get up to relative speed to stick a clean pass (a la Watkins Glen)....the track itself is so stop-and-go that it does not provide consistency such that a momentum car could maintain speed and stay in front of a higher-horsepower car (a la Lime Rock)...I fear this will cause a lot of driver frustration, resulting in unreasonable desperation passes, with a lot of metal-to-metal.
    Hoo-boy, was I a busy man today. I did not do a final count, but I managed more drivers with contact impound reports in five hours today than I did at any other weekend...ever. We had two driver protests go through (both with reprimand-level penalties), two more protests submitted and later withdrawn, three more protests threatened and dropped, and at least one Chief Stewards Action. And, believe it or not, it wasn't all Miatae.

I am freaking BEAT.

And yet...I had someone come up to me toward the end of the afternoon and say that he felt the track was working in, that the more he drove it the better it raced. So there's hope...

Good weekend, great times with friends, super to be back home at a reasonable hour.

GA

I think it was real fun to race on. You make a mistake and you pay for it in lap time... and with so many corners you can make a lot off mistakes. Unlike most tracks with so many 180 turns it feels like your turning a LOT more than your going forward. I did have a real hard time passing but it made it real fun. A few key corners to the track that will give you fast lap but not enough of a run before the next turn to make a momentum pass, you need to pass under braking... turn 11 is key to this track and for any SM or IT car we need to be flat or go make an adjustment to the car until you can be. (Yes I did it)
    My data shows if I can put together a continuous lap I could have been @ a 19. (Theoretical was actually an 18) I Only managed a 21.2. A real good driver will be fast, a good driver will make a small mistake every lap and never leave knowing they had "that lap"

Stephen

i do think the track is getting better but Stephen is right there are lots of chances to make mistakes and when i made one it seemed really hard to get back in the groove. I got tapped in the rear at the apex and knocked off the track twice this weekend by cars in other classes, neither had malicious intent and other than losing spots there was no real harm. both were a result of not understanding how different cars were going to react. that will get better. I hope.
    one thing i was having a hard time dealing with is near the end of the long race i was getting lapped by some faster class cars. they would toodle around the turns near the oval and not make a move and then coming out of 10 stick a fender inside at 11 and try to push me outside on the most important apex on the track. for those who have not race there is is like sticking it inside in the downhill at lime rock, maybe worse. for me at least there is not a lot of margin there. i either have to make a big lift onto the long straight of wreck us both.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Yeah, interesting weekend. I really don't like the track flow. As others have said, really tough to pass. It is a big auto X with a long straight. Abhi and I (he was in first, I was in second) came up on the group of IT7 cars that were battling. I knew that Abhi getting caught up in the middle was my only chance to possibly pass him so I know I made some "risky" passes to get by them. Hope I didn't mess anyone up and they all did a great job of letting us through.

Dick, if I couldn't stick the pass going into the oval it was really tough getting by anyone until flat footing it through 11. Hope it wasn't me who pushed you out because I know I did it to one of the IT7s...........

The only other place I found decent to pass was the corner coming off the oval (turn 8?). If I cut the corner straight using the grass on the left as the apex I could brake in a straight line to block the apex of the car taking the wide approach. (but considering they cant see you, you MUST be up along side or there will be contact) And seeing as you are immediately going into turn 9, it didn't matter if you were slow in 8. In fact, that was my normal line through there. There is no "straight" between 8 and 9 and I think most of us had to lift through 9 any how so why not take the shortest route??

The transitions onto and off of the old track really unsettled the car.............

Although, after making a really stupid mistake on the start of Saturday's race and going into turn one DFL in ITA, I was able to make quite a few passes on my way back up and through. The Prod cars killed me though......... They raced me like we were battling for position..........

I also over heated myself on Saturday. Looking back, I spent two days drinking plenty of water but not replacing any of the other shit in my body (sodium, potassium, etc.) and I think by time I finished Saturday's race I was a little out of it. Lesson learned............

Great job on the weekend JB!! Well done!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

well there is passing and then there is getting by slower cars. when you are racing someone you can find place to take away their line. when you are lapping or working your way back by out of class cars it is about working together to not hurt either car. not sure everyone understands the difference. i agree that 9 you can do a cooperative pass with little loss of time to either. if your car turns well i think it can be done on the oval as well.
    when Abbi and you went by me he got but on the end of the straight and i lifted early to let you into on before me. neither of us lost much time and i did not screw up your race. a lapping car can stick it in on the right in clubhouse (4?) with little issue but trying to get inside of me in 3 or 11 and push me into the marbles and I will never give you a break again.

agreed JB done good and we as a group are learning a lot.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7