Thread: "Back to the Future" Thompson, July 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Or dyno day at Kessler's
    I think Kessler just calls that "Tuesday."
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Only 146 entries so far. If your not going why? Be honest so our region can see the feedback. I expected more at a cool new track in the north east at a great location. We had more at a "non" race weekend a month ago....

Is it cost? I know it was much less expensive to go to the soft opening? If so what is the breaking point for you? Is the weekend? Does it conflict with a big weekend nearby? We need to keep learning so we can pay the bills and get more cars on track!

Stephen

I have to work that Saturday and they are not giving a discount for Sunday only start at the back. If the entry fee were about half, I would have planned on attending. (I did ask but Ray saw how that went. LOL!!)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I'm likely to pull my entry and work Contact Impound instead. I expect that to be a lot more interesting.

The next weekend is NARRC and Pro IT at WGI, so when faced with a back to back decision, the Glen won.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

That seems to be the theme... the Glen won...

I have no plans to go to the Glen Regional, but I am at the Glen Majors the weekend before.

I suggest, however, my primary reason for considering volunteering instead of racing is that during the "soft opening" I developed serious reservations about how the track will "race". Starting from the back of our group, I found it extremely difficult, and highly frustrating, that the track had no flow and even with a significant horsepower advantage I could not get up to relative speed to stick a clean pass (a la Watkins Glen). Yet, the track itself is so stop-and-go that it does not provide consistency such that a momentum car could maintain speed and stay in front of a higher-horsepower car (a la Lime Rock).

There's only one place on the track where a higher-pony car could stick a clean pass, and all the slower car needs to do is move over one lane to stop it from happening. If someone in front wanted to keep you back there, they could do it with little effort.

I fear this will cause a lot of driver frustration, resulting in unreasonable desperation passes, with a lot of metal-to-metal.

Dick related to me that we said the same thing about NHMS, but in the end it all worked out. I don't know, I wasn't there then, but I personally never thought that when I first hit NHMS (not even with the chicane/chicane layout). I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded. But, I'll probably sit this one out and instead do paperwork, then maybe I'll come back later in the year and give it a shot.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Only 146 entries so far. If your not going why? Be honest so our region can see the feedback. I expected more at a cool new track in the north east at a great location. We had more at a "non" race weekend a month ago....

Is it cost? I know it was much less expensive to go to the soft opening? If so what is the breaking point for you? Is the weekend? Does it conflict with a big weekend nearby? We need to keep learning so we can pay the bills and get more cars on track!

Stephen
    I've heard people ditching because WGi is the week after and some people I have spoken to aren't too keen on the one session on Sunday.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07