Thread: power or manual steering for mk3 itb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default power or manual steering for mk3 itb?

i have been toying with the idea of going to a manual rack for the 97 gti we run. i have a new mk2 manual rack. i have also seen people just looping the original ps rack as well. Main reason I'm thinking is mine may have a small leak on the fittings that i can seem to eliminate. Aside from that, what are the pros/cons to it? we run a kaaz limited slip diff. I've seen (but can't find the article) of shine racings against this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Either of those options would be great - with the one minor inconvenience that they are illegal.

K

The k3 ties rods are 1/4 in longer. You also need the manual Mk2 lower steering shaft, very hard to source. Most places show NLA.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

What Kirk said.

There is a silver ITB Golf III (maybe on the east coast now) that was running manual steering because the original builder found documentation of a couple Canadian spec cars sold in California that way. I don't know if it was converted back when it moved out of the mid-west, but when we discussed it after the fact the builder and I agreed that it was not legal, because the ITCS assumes US market cars.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

ok let me clarify. i looked at the mk2 but as was said, some of the parts are impossible to source and there was some mounting issues as well. It is legal to convert the stock rack to a manual one by looping the rack to itself and getting rid of the resevoir and pump. The questions reverts still back to power or manual and which is better under the circumstances.

And to prevent the "no its not legal" comments, lets say its running in nasa or any other sanctioning body or class other than itb.