Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
Three main crank scares the shit out me
I ran a full on effort EP MGB in the late 90's. We had a 3 engine rotation, 2 National/Runoffs engines and 1 with about 10hp less known as Old Reliable. The 2 hot engines were both 5 main bearing, "old reliable" was a 3 main with a stock worked crank. It was the only one of the three that we couldn't blow up!
You will NEVER make an MGB competitive in ITB. The SU carbs are not the problem, properly tuned they have way more power potential than the garbage 32/36 weber. I doubt you would be able to get to weight either. We made it down to 1780# with a 175# driver, but ran paper thin composite body work, a chro-mo cage with half width main hoop and low front hoop, aluminum suspension links, coilovers (no leaf springs or lever shocks), basically a tube frame back half etc. Add back a dash, windshield and frame, steel bodywork, leaf springs, lever shocks, a full size cage, bumpers, wipers, wiring harness, headlamps etc, etc, etc, the weight will probably reach 2200 with driver. It will never handle well enough without relocating pickup points. With stock cam, stock compression ratio, stock type valves, heavy pistons with 4 very thick rings, stock valve springs, etc, it will NEVER make close to enough power and will likely be even more of a hand grenade than our prod motors were.
just my .02$