Thread: Would it/could it be competitive?

Default Would it/could it be competitive?

Would/Could a MGB be competitive in improved touring?

What class would that be in? C? I don't know much about ITC, but I know enough about MG's to know it'd be a painful experience.

EDIT - had to go look and see what class - its in ITB at 2050 lbs. Light but there are a lot of other cars in ITB that seem to be fairly stout.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.

There was a B that ran in the Northeast a few years ago. Usually got lapped by the leaders. Don't know if it was a "to the limit of the rules" build, but it was not competitive. If you want to win build something else, if you want to circulate in a neat classic sports car, the B could be your thing.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

The Mg handles and stops very well. The issue is that you need about 100 real Hp at the wheels. The stocker makes about 75 @ the wheels. I am pretty sure that the 32/36 Weber carb is legal for the car. The area is less than the dual Strombergs but often goes faster/ easier/ more often.
    The poor engine needs to spin around 6000 RPM to do those numbers and the cam/ rods/ crank are not happy there. Put iin a letter for the move to ITC and race the car in vintage/ Chump etc. (If you already have the car.) IMHO.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I tend to think it's going to be an uphill battle...

K

Three main crank scares the shit out me
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Three main crank scares the shit out me
    I ran a full on effort EP MGB in the late 90's. We had a 3 engine rotation, 2 National/Runoffs engines and 1 with about 10hp less known as Old Reliable. The 2 hot engines were both 5 main bearing, "old reliable" was a 3 main with a stock worked crank. It was the only one of the three that we couldn't blow up!
    You will NEVER make an MGB competitive in ITB. The SU carbs are not the problem, properly tuned they have way more power potential than the garbage 32/36 weber. I doubt you would be able to get to weight either. We made it down to 1780# with a 175# driver, but ran paper thin composite body work, a chro-mo cage with half width main hoop and low front hoop, aluminum suspension links, coilovers (no leaf springs or lever shocks), basically a tube frame back half etc. Add back a dash, windshield and frame, steel bodywork, leaf springs, lever shocks, a full size cage, bumpers, wipers, wiring harness, headlamps etc, etc, etc, the weight will probably reach 2200 with driver. It will never handle well enough without relocating pickup points. With stock cam, stock compression ratio, stock type valves, heavy pistons with 4 very thick rings, stock valve springs, etc, it will NEVER make close to enough power and will likely be even more of a hand grenade than our prod motors were.
    just my .02$
    C&R Motorsports
    2007 ITS MX5, 1995 ITA Miata, 1997 STL Miata
    3 time VIR 13hr ITA winner
    2011 SARRC STL Champion

That ought to put it to rest.

there's a bunch of good used ITB cars for sale right now that would be more competative more easily, sooner, and at lower cost than an MGB. leave the old british cars to prod and vintage and save the heartburn.

I can sell you a caged MR2 project car (has all the good bits except the motor, but would come with a running when pulled driveline and good diff) for 2-4k depending on how much of the good parts list you want. thing has a logbook back to the early 90s. there's a guy named Mike Kamelian in macon GA selling a good Mk3 VW with a bunch of spares for 9k. I'm sure the classifieds on this site list dozens more.

Thanks to all for taking the time to opine. We'll move on.

Late to the game, Brit car fan and racer, and hell, I don't see anyway that car (the MG could compete in A. You can't fix basic suspension issues with the car and it's never going to make the power it needs.

If you are serious about a Brit car in B.....there is always the TR7...lol....laugh, or maybe don't... 2.0. Can be made to handle. Decent power torque out of teh stock motor (90ish stock hp, 100ish stock torque), came with Bosh L-Jet the last two years so you have the ability to put a standalone on it and tune. TR7s are cheap/free and parts are plentiful.

There are a lot better choices but if you love Britstuff, that's probably the only oddball Brit car with a chance in A/B/C.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If one is into self-abuse, I think a nice Fiat 124 Sport Coupe would still be awesome in B.

K

Rick Pocock used to run a fast Alfa spyder in iT
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Late to the game, Brit car fan and racer, and hell, I don't see anyway that car (the MG could compete in A. You can't fix basic suspension issues with the car and it's never going to make the power it needs.

If you are serious about a Brit car in B.....there is always the TR7...lol....laugh, or maybe don't... 2.0. Can be made to handle. Decent power torque out of teh stock motor (90ish stock hp, 100ish stock torque), came with Bosh L-Jet the last two years so you have the ability to put a standalone on it and tune. TR7s are cheap/free and parts are plentiful.

There are a lot better choices but if you love Britstuff, that's probably the only oddball Brit car with a chance in A/B/C.
    if it weren't for the stubborn persistnace Jeff laid into the TR8 making it competative among STRONG competition in the south east ITS class, I'd say the above was fanciful at best. but the chassis appears to be capable enough, the displacement is in the upper poart of the range for the class and if it can put down the required power it's certainly got a chance. L-Jet gives you a lot of easy go to options, and I bet Jeff would be helpful with the knowledge, too. I've heard worse ideas.

Put a few Lotus badges on a Miata and pretend it's an Elan...

Great Idea for using up older generation Miatae.